Author Topic: From the makers of Eglu - the Beehaus  (Read 11583 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
From the makers of Eglu - the Beehaus
« on: July 28, 2009, 17:06:31 »
Although it's not formally announced yet, it appears that Omlet, makers of the famous Eglu, are about to launch a beehive called the Beehaus.  See http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49120

It's split beekeeping opinion.  For example: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1855

The old guard's worry seems to be that this trendy-looking beehive will appeal to people who will take up the craft on a fancy without any training or mentoring, and either the bees will die, or swarm uncontrollably, or spread diseases.

I must admit that I quite like the idea of the Beehaus.  I know Omlet provide some basic training when they sell chickens, so I'm sure they'll do something similar with bees.

Anyone else tempted?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: From the makers of Eglu - the Beehaus
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 17:14:57 »
I've had Eglu's "training" on chicken keeping - it involved showing me how to put pellets in a container & clipping the wings in front of me (I didn't get a go!). If they teach bee keeping to the same standard, there will be a lot of disappointed honey makers. Much better to contact local bee keepers society & take things from there, IMHO.

On the other hand, if people want a practical & funky-looking beehive, why not? There are still some bird keepers who say the Eglu isn't as good as a traditional chicken house - whereas it is perfectly fine, just a bit expensive. I guess you'll get the same traditionalists with bee keeping - why not have a funky hive?!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 18:20:46 »
I'm reserving judgement; plastic hives are popular in Scandinavia, where the insulating effect of expanded polystyrene is going to be useful for wintering. It isn't needed here. One disadvantage is that you can't scorch them (with a blowlamp), which is part of the standard treatment for American Foulbrood. The size question is valid, but we don't have the information yet. People do keep bees in different sizes of broodbox, and if they've based it on the standard National, say, it's going to be too small for a lot of people. Many strains wouls swarm like mad if confined to one. They really need the system to be sufficiently flexible to allow for every style of beekeeping, but time will tell.

£495 seems excessive; a complete, fully assembled National hive from Thorne's (expensive!) will set you back £247.97 + vat, or £180.99 + vat flat packed. I get seconds very much cheaper in their winter sales.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 18:26:48 by Robert_Brenchley »

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 23:01:20 »
sounds like they are jumping on the 'bee shortage' bandwagon, and will no doubt be selling bees at greatly inflated prices to go with their very expensive hives !! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:15:51 »
The price of bees has shot up over the last year. Thee are two people advertising hives for sale in the ltest 'Beecraft', at £160 and £175 a time. Not so long ago it would have been around £50. In the last 12 months I've acquired three colonies, two with hives, and haven't paid a penny for any of them.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 21:00:19 »
It's a shame you can't read the whole thread on the beekeeping forum. What's worse is thier stupid "random question" question which prevents you either contacting them or registering.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 15:55:12 »
I had no trouble registering on the beekeeping forum. it's a great site for beeks!!
You couldn't make it up!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:16:44 »
The price of bees has shot up over the last year. Thee are two people advertising hives for sale in the ltest 'Beecraft', at £160 and £175 a time. Not so long ago it would have been around £50. In the last 12 months I've acquired three colonies, two with hives, and haven't paid a penny for any of them.

I'm afraid that I paid £185 for a hive of bees in early May.  :-[  The price comes down later in the year.

To my embarrassment, I was swindled.  The colony that I bought was much smaller than advertised, and has not prospered, although the swarm that we were given a few weeks later have absolutely romped away.

You live and learn.

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 10:11:44 »
It does seem very expensive.
Bee keeping is something i would love to do, I have considered it but our garden is just too small.
It is something that I plan to do when we have moved to a house with a good sized garden.
I would not dream of keeping bees without doing a course or something, they do Beekeeping courses at the local college in Hartpury, Gloucestershire.
As for Omlet training, I too had the 5 mins training, on filling the glug and grub and clipping wings. I think this Omlet beehive for the unexperienced could be dangerous.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:36:20 »
It does seem very expensive.
Bee keeping is something i would love to do, I have considered it but our garden is just too small.
It is something that I plan to do when we have moved to a house with a good sized garden.
I would not dream of keeping bees without doing a course or something, they do Beekeeping courses at the local college in Hartpury, Gloucestershire.
As for Omlet training, I too had the 5 mins training, on filling the glug and grub and clipping wings. I think this Omlet beehive for the unexperienced could be dangerous.
You don't need to do a course to keep bees. You need to either find a beekeeper as a mentor or if you have a local society that is active and has a society apiary join that. You should then get all the tutorlage necessary.
The worst part of the Beehaus that I can see is that it won't stand up to the required treatment for AFB/EFB which is a blowtorch carried by the Bee Inspector. As they're part of DEFRA they pretty much have the power to do as they wish but on the otherhand they're a real goldmine of hints/tips/information on keeping bees.
On you're second point you don't need a large garden to keep bees. What you do need is a dead area, where there's about a yard of clear ground around the hive and a flight path, which can be as little as 10ft in length directly into a hedge or fence. This forces the bees to fly up taking them away from human interaction.
Remember people quite happily keep bees on the flat roofs of kitchen extensions, wash rooms, studio flats, garages, etc.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 20:33:38 »
Bees aren't hard to keep, as long as you keep on top of the mites, and that means keeping up with the latest treatments. I learnt from books and the internet, and they remain my main sources of information. Having a mentor would certainly help while you get used to them. It's not that expensive if you get yourself orgainised, buy equipment at the right time and in the right way and get bees via your local beekeepers' association. There are three ways to get hives; Thorne's winter sale, which I always recommend, and always get ignored, secondhand (the secondhand value isn't high) or the expensive way. Bees can come as swarms or someone's surplus, which isn't likely to cost, or the expensive way.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 08:23:13 »
Bees aren't hard to keep, as long as you keep on top of the mites, and that means keeping up with the latest treatments. I learnt from books and the internet, and they remain my main sources of information. Having a mentor would certainly help while you get used to them. It's not that expensive if you get yourself organised, buy equipment at the right time and in the right way and get bees via your local beekeepers' association. There are three ways to get hives; Thorne's winter sale, which I always recommend, and always get ignored, secondhand (the secondhand value isn't high) or the expensive way. Bees can come as swarms or someone's surplus, which isn't likely to cost, or the expensive way.
As it's coming up to varroa treatment season, and as our local bee inspector is a club member the word is using anything except Apiguard is a waste of money.
Apiguard currently has about 90% efficacy. The mites are now resistant to virtually all other treatments which are now have only about a 25% efficacy.
There is a new product from Italy which has only just been licenced but he couldn't remember it's name and doubted wether Thornes would have supplies yet.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 18:51:57 »
I use oxalic acid at New Year; don't let anyone tell you that Apiguard is the only thing that works! Fluvalinate is a dead loss though, don't waste your money.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 12:06:25 »
Well, the Beehaus has been launched today amid much publicity.

I think they look absolutely superb.  Full of good ideas.  Expensive, I know, but I'm very tempted.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 12:17:31 »
They look as though they're based on the Dartington Long Hive or something similar. I can't find a web page on it.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 13:10:38 »
They look as though they're based on the Dartington Long Hive or something similar. I can't find a web page on it.

Go to http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Bees and follow the navigation tabs.

I must admit that I thought at first glance that it might be a top bar hive, but you're right - it's a plastic Dartington-type design.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 13:28:33 by Melbourne12 »

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 13:31:25 »
Just saw it on the BBC news, it looks great.  Tempted too!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 14:26:27 »
Would love to keep bees as well.
We have a tiny garden- there is the allotment of course.........but last time someone wanted to keep bees the council wouldn't let them in case they swarmed and someone got stung!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 19:18:10 »
Contact your local Beekeepers' Association and see if they can help.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal