Author Topic: Will my butternut squash fruit be damaged by frost?  (Read 2752 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
Will my butternut squash fruit be damaged by frost?
« on: October 06, 2004, 13:20:28 »
Hi,

I have a butternut squash plant that is still going strong, after getting off to a late start (it was a replacement plant for a slug-nanged one) it has finally got two good sized fruits on it.

I know that the squash plant itself will probably start dying when the first frost hits, but will the actual fruit be affected if I leave it outside until the frost happens?

Just that frost is forecast for Thursday and I don't want the fruit to pop its clogs along with the plant... but I want to leave it on the plant as long as I possibly can, to ripen fully!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Will my butternut squash fruit be damaged by frost?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 13:35:50 »
Ten, I have still got several fruit on mine too! They will survive a light frost, so I usually pick mine after the first LIGHT frost. Have however already picked 10 and they are lined up on my windowsill to harden them for storge! (didn't want someone helping themselves to all of them!)  The plant will die back after the frosts. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 14:24:19 »
Thanks very much I didn't realise I could carry on ripening them on a windowsill!

Ten x

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 00:03:04 »
Don't confuse ripening with curing, Ten. They don't ripen off the vine. While a light frost will not do much more than knock down the leaves a hard frost that causes damage to the fruit will affect their ability to store. If a frost is forecast then, to quote Clint, it will be a matter of how lucky do you feel?

Dean

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:15:39 »
On the subject of butternut squashes., Can you grow them like cogettes up a string, or do you gerow them on the ground like a pumpkin (heard people insist that you can grow them up a string as much as I've heard people insist it's not possable)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 12:21:28 »
Dean I grow mine upwards on frames, they obviously take up less space that way. (don't think a string would give enough support) somewhere there is a whole thread on this, will try and find it later for you!  ;D DP

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 12:37:37 »
Ok. Hardening not ripening. Message received and understood!

It's not so much "do I feel lucky", as "can I get out of work and home and up to the allotment before it is pitch black and I fall face first into the very butternut squash plant I am trying to save".

Ten x
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 12:37:54 by Tenuse »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal