Author Topic: Aliens  (Read 2066 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Aliens
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:20:07 »
Not "illegal immigrants" but rather Flora and Fauna... just spent the best part of an hour chasing links on the BBC website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7531575.stm

I'm undecided on that Knotweed predator... what happens once it's here... if it develops a taste for something else..  :o

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Aliens
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:22:32 »
I saw that article and thought the same thing. You can't help but be reminded of the cane toads in aus!!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 18:17:47 »
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 18:48:21 »
I'm a bit worried about it jumping to other mebers of the Polygonaceae family such as persicaria.  I grow several varieties of this including bistorta, affinis, Red Dragon and a deep red one whose name I know not.  Many otehr gardeners have these and more.

According to the BBC site, DEFRA and the Welsh Assembly are seeking public views before releasing the insect next March but I couldn't find a link so I've sent an email asking about if this has been tested to DEFRA via their website.

There's no guarantee that the insects will be happy to starve to death assuming they do manage to munch or suck their way through the UK's infestation of knotweed is there?
Obxx - Vendée France

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 18:59:25 »
There are many examples of foreign species being introduced & causing more harm than good. There are very few where it has worked...

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 19:27:31 »
Bloody immigrants, coming over here....eating all our knotweed!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 19:52:30 »
The RHS has printed articles on this in it's magazine The Garden.  You may be better going to www.rhs.org.uk/advice.

Personally, I'm against the introduction of this bug.  As OH says, it its so good at killing the plant, why have they still got knotweed in Japan. ???

valmarg

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 19:56:36 »
Even Chipmunks are on their way, ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 20:31:00 »
Bloody immigrants, coming over here....eating all our knotweed!

Ha ha ha - nice one.   ;D

I think it's a worry, too.  No guarantees that they'll stop at Knotweed.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 21:46:04 »
I hope they've done adequate trials to check that it won't eat our native plants. As for chipmunks, that's what results from irresponsible pet owners letting their unwanted animals go. They've got an even bigger problem with pythons in Florida.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal