Author Topic: Real Seeds  (Read 2627 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Real Seeds
« on: November 12, 2009, 17:28:19 »

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: Real Seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 19:43:00 »
Thanks Tim i fancy a bash at that there tree cabbage.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 19:49:43 »
Oh Dear.  Another catalogue to tempt me.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 19:50:26 »
I like the sentiment of Real Seeds, I just haven't managed to grow anything really worthwhile from them.

Cucumber Wautoma, not as good as the BTG grown next to it.

Sweetcorn Ashworth/Double Standard, maybe left it in a bit long and it did have a massive yield, but it was very starchy and since picking it we've eaten 2 of the 60+ cobs. Fed more to the chickens. And you can't save the seed anyhow.

Tomato Irish Gardeners Delight, not a patch on the Sungolds.

Tomato Aurora - not bad, might grow it again next year, but in pots rather than the g/h border.

I might still go back to them this year, but not for any of the above.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 19:58:02 »
Trust you've told them??

They need feedback.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 20:13:54 »
I was chuffed with Angers early n late mix did what it sed on the packet,blue leek Bleu de Solaise well worth a go.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 21:06:24 »
Trust you've told them??

They need feedback.

But what do you say? "no good mate, F1s are better?"

Might not be very constructive.

But I have to admit, I hadn't even considered telling them. I will, thank you for the push.  :)

I'll try to be a bit more tactful than above, though.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 21:14:08 »
Really pleased with my carrots Lisse de meaux and Giant Red.

Like the idea of their Breed your own Vegetables section, am tempted to get one of the tomato packs - but have got so many tomatoes to try already - oh dear...

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 21:15:44 »
I love em BUT I wish they would list the new varieties and charge less for postage overseas

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:40:30 »
I've had mixed results, but the good results were amazing.

I would much prefer to buy seeds which are short-lived from a source like this.  My parsnip germination rate was astounding and being the first time I've done them I was expecting trouble.

There's a few things I wouldn't want to be without - their 'snips, some of their carrots, the amazing Summer crookneck tree and although Orach is quite common, their 'Magenta Magic' just glows in the Spring.  Everyone passing by was asking me about it. I gave so many seeds away I reckon the whole site will be awash with red next season.

I don't like giving feedback because you're never sure whether it's you or the seeds or just personal preference and all seed companies say that so never sure they mean it.  Besides which it would seem a bit pesky especially when I imagine they are out all day farming in the Welsh rain.

Perhaps if they had a feedback box on their site it would be more encouraging to do that.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:40 »
Robin - being a 2 person firm, I think they prefer e-mails so that they can deal with them in their own time.

They are very responsive.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:58:10 »
I've had mixed results, but the good results were amazing.
I don't like giving feedback because you're never sure whether it's you or the seeds or just personal preference and all seed companies say that so never sure they mean it.  Besides which it would seem a bit pesky especially when I imagine they are out all day farming in the Welsh rain.

Perhaps if they had a feedback box on their site it would be more encouraging to do that.

I've given them feedback and got a reply from them pretty quickly, much faster and more personal than you'd get from the "big players". For a small company like "Real Seeds", who do such an excellent job, feedback is, I imagine , their lifeblood, allowing them to know what and how to expand.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 13:31:00 »
Yes a lovely company with some interesting varieties etc.
I did give them some feedback on an email but didn't get a response? So not sure what to think  :-\

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 14:11:54 »
I have used them in the past.Their coco sophie failed the year before last and their romanesco wasn't very good. Apparently they had alot of feedback about the coco sophie. It isn't in their catalogue this year but someone on here sent me some seeds so I have whole lot of them for next year.
I have ordered from them this year because I cannot get a beetroot any better than their Sanguina and their carrots both the long red and the Lisse de Meaux are excellent. The leek bleu de solaise is good too. I have ordered some waltham butternut from them as well this time.I have saved my own seed from the cherokee trail of tears.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 18:25:26 »
I buy from them every year. I didn't like the sweetcorn, though I don't see why you can't save seed, for a generation or two at least. That's the only thing I've had from them that I haven't been pleased with. I just wish someone would breed an open-pollinated supersweet!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal