Author Topic: Cucumber Marketmore  (Read 1917 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Cucumber Marketmore
« on: July 12, 2009, 22:51:55 »
After seeing some postings on a forum (can't remember if it was here) I realised that Marketmore can be grown indoors... I've always only grown it outdoors as a ridge... So I kept one of my plants in the GH when the others were being planted out. It's in a 10" pot and now it's started flowering (it was the runt of the litter tbh)... do I let the male flowers stay or do I remove them? I don't have any other cucurbits in the GH, do I need to import pollen from the lottie (GH is in home garden which is otherwise a wasteland of flowers....)

chrisc

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Cucumber Marketmore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:10:45 »
http://www.beansandherbs.co.uk/tipsoutdoorcucs.htm hope this clears up any questions for you

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 19:33:08 »
You will probably have to hand pollinate in the greenhouse unless there is access for bees.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 20:52:43 »
I did Marketmore outdoors last year, but the summer was so pants I was lucky to get 3 or 4 usable cukes from each plant.  This year I did one really early one in an unheated greenhouse, and it is doing very well, I turn my back and there is another proud 8 incher (ooh err missus), I have a later sowing also in the greenhouse, and one outside...both look promising with mini cukes on the way.

I grow them in flowerbuckets, 3 canes at least 5ft tall (they need more, or somewhere to sprawl onto), and string tied around for the tendrils to get a grip on, and more string as they get taller.

They are prickly little wotsits, so you need to skin them, but the taste is 10x a shop bought cucumber.

Best picked around the 6 - 8 inch size.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 19:43:48 »
I am growing Marketmore at the moment but they are smooth as a babys bottom.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal