Author Topic: SCOTCH BONNETS coming on !  (Read 6795 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
SCOTCH BONNETS coming on !
« on: July 20, 2009, 19:39:47 »
The Scotch Bonnets are the first photo and the second are Habanero

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

AdrianH

• Not So New ...
Re: SCOTCH BONNETS coming on !
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 13:22:18 »
Good stuff Duke.

If you have room try overwintering these plants. I overwintered my Orange Habanero last winter (chopped it back to about about 6" of stem late october and stuck it on the spare bedroom windowsill). This year I have already had 453 ripe chillis off this one plant alone!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 14:28:26 »
I might try that...
have some on "hot stuff"(and the Cayenne outside) but not on the habs or even Bhut Jalokia yet...  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 15:31:34 »
i tried the overwintering last year with success my scotch bonnet plants survived and are covered with ripening fruit as we speak. all the seeds i sowed this year in case the experiment failed were given away instead :).

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:42:21 »
so far we've had a couple of Prairie Fires off, but the rest of the bunch are still getting bigger... I am looking forward to the enormous Infernos (Hungarian hot waxes)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 13:19:58 »
The harvests get better past the first year of the plant  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 13:51:37 »
Ring of fire is in full production and I now have flowers on my Habanero...  ;D

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 22:15:52 »

I planted ring of fire seeds mid june (given the seeds as a gift) - a couple of flower buds now showing - can I bring these plants in from the greenhouse and overwinter in my spare room?  Should I also cut these back?

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 22:23:12 »

I planted ring of fire seeds mid june (given the seeds as a gift) - a couple of flower buds now showing - can I bring these plants in from the greenhouse and overwinter in my spare room?  Should I also cut these back?

I overwintered these in 2008/09. I hacked the plants back to 15cm, all survived. My March planted seeds have been out in the Scottish 'sunshine' since April, even these have fruit forming. 

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:05 »
I overwintered these in 2008/09. I hacked the plants back to 15cm, all survived. My March planted seeds have been out in the Scottish 'sunshine' since April, even these have fruit forming. 

Can I ask where you overwintered them Sholls - in a greenhouse or windowsill?  If in a greenhouse, was it heated?

Thanks
Meg

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:11:34 »
Can I ask where you overwintered them Sholls - in a greenhouse or windowsill?  If in a greenhouse, was it heated?

Thanks
Meg

I brought the strongest looking specimens into the house, however I soon ran out of 'sill/table/shelf space; these were kept in a little used and relatively cool room which got a few hours of sunlight each day.

The remainder, ones that I couldn't bring myself to compost, were exiled to the coldframe or (east-facing) garage windowsill. It was an experiment, and I was amazed that they all survived; when heavy frost was predicted I threw some lightweight fleece over them, other than that they were largely ignored.

My Twilight, Prarie Fire, Cherry Bomb, Apache and Jalapeno plants made it through winter with similar treatment. This year I'm going to have to be ruthless, or move to a bigger house...

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:37 »
This year I'm going to have to be ruthless, or move to a bigger house... 

Thanks for this - my spare bedroom window sill is south/west facing, so will try that.  As for moving to a bigger house - my husband has suggested we move into the greenhouse and give the house over to my "triffids"  ;D

Meg

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 19:30:05 »

Thanks
Meg

I brought the strongest looking specimens into the house, however I soon ran out of 'sill/table/shelf space; these were kept in a little used and relatively cool room which got a few hours of sunlight each day.

The remainder, ones that I couldn't bring myself to compost, were exiled to the coldframe or (east-facing) garage windowsill. It was an experiment, and I was amazed that they all survived; when heavy frost was predicted I threw some lightweight fleece over them, other than that they were largely ignored.

My Twilight, Prarie Fire, Cherry Bomb, Apache and Jalapeno plants made it through winter with similar treatment. This year I'm going to have to be ruthless, or move to a bigger house...

I will try this this year. I never have much success with peppers, I think my GH doesnt get enough sunlight.

hopefully overwintering might be the solution. maybe. ta

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 17:49:22 »
 Do you make Scotch Bonnet jelly, yummy. qahtan

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 21:26:10 »
Good stuff Duke.

If you have room try overwintering these plants. I overwintered my Orange Habanero last winter (chopped it back to about about 6" of stem late october and stuck it on the spare bedroom windowsill). This year I have already had 453 ripe chillis off this one plant alone!

I'm supressing a shudder here but .... 453 habaneros off one plant is a about two crucifyingly hot chillis per day for the year so far.... what are you doing with them all? I mean, I like chilli but you must be putting them in your cereal.....

chrisc
/shudder

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 22:00:23 »

I plan too :).

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 22:36:48 »
I make a chilli jelly too. I use apples to make mine :) Its really lovely!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 22:41:54 »

I plan too :).

I have done. :) 50:50 SB & Dorset Nagra... If I'm still alive after tasting the final product (in 3-ish weeks) I'll share the recipe.  ;D My chilli list for next year needs to be reduced somewhat, I'm told that 30+ varieties is a little excessive.

As for my previously mentioned outdoor chillies... my garden has been experiencing winds of over 30mph, and gusts >70 mph. I caved earlier in the week & brought my Bonnets & Habs inside, I think everything else that is exposed to the worst of the elements will need to be brought in by the weekend. :( I really need to crack on with my chili/tom shelters for next year. 

staris

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 23:53:26 »
i've got a load of chillis that are doing very well, scotch bonnet, naga, satins kiss, apache, and f1 ,i like the sound of chilli jelly has anyone got a decent recipe that i can use  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 11:11:12 »
i've got a load of chillis that are doing very well, scotch bonnet, naga, satins kiss, apache, and f1 ,i like the sound of chilli jelly has anyone got a decent recipe that i can use  :)

I've made the chilli jam mentioned at the end of this thread, I think it's a Sarah Raven one.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,12881.0.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal