Author Topic: cranberry in raised bed ?  (Read 937 times)

trudie

• Not So New ...
cranberry in raised bed ?
« on: July 17, 2009, 20:05:35 »
Hi ya people I've put a cranberry shrub in one of my raised bed's, but now I'm worrying if it will take over the whole bed, or can i contain it some how advice please :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: cranberry in raised bed ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 23:11:56 »
I'd be intererested to see replies about growing cranberries, have tried several times now and read up an awful lot but no real success - has anyone out there done it?
From what I have read, they need an acidic type of soil to grow in, they need regular irrigation and feeding. I grow loads of blueberries and tried the same approach with the cranberries. No luck!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:08:36 »
someone on our site has his growing in the ground through black plastic, we're on clay and it's got fruit on it this yr, (2nd year)..not ripe yet, though  :)

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:28:37 »
I grow cranberries in containers, but have never had a good crop, enough for the cranberry sauce at Christmas is all I ask. I'm thinking about putting them in the ground You can grow them by digging a trench and lining with plastic, filling trench with an acidic growing medium. They like the poor drainage and the plastic prevent the surrounding soil influencing the pH adversely.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 15:58:01 »
I'll be eager to hear also. For two yrs I've tried growing a creeping cranberry in the ground which hasn't produced even one berry and remains small It also is planted by thriving blueberries. A definite waste of money. Perhaps a highbush cranberry would have been better.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 19:00:22 »
Mine have the most berries they've ever had on, this year. Still next to nowt though.

I have wondered if my mistake is that you need to grow more than one variety, like blueberries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal