Author Topic: Parrot manure  (Read 2643 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Parrot manure
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:54:40 »
We have quite a bit of this...it's a mix of parrot poop and unchewed sunflower and digested chili seeds ( they love capiscums) I know composting is unlikely to kill chili seeds??? but will it bump off the sunflower if bed is hot enough?
Jackie

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Parrot manure
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:19:00 »
We have quite a bit of this

how big is this parrot then?  :o

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:09:16 »
I'd be interested in this too, we have a couple of parrots and up til now I've been bagging it and chucking it away. There's quite a mix of poop, seed husks and general parrot food waste.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 17:16:36 »
Hector, I don't know what you use for your guinea pigs. I have been using wood shavings which I can't put in the compost bin, they have now gone up to £2 a bag (no room for bales) so I have just ordered a bag of hemcore. This composts down in weeks.  It's very absorbant & you can just take out any bits that they wee on regularly but my girls have a loo in the run so they tend to use that. It's about £10.50 a bale but I don't know how big the bale is. Would you like me to let you know I get on with it?

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 21:15:47 »
Hector, I don't know what you use for your guinea pigs. I have been using wood shavings which I can't put in the compost bin, they have now gone up to £2 a bag (no room for bales) so I have just ordered a bag of hemcore. This composts down in weeks.  It's very absorbant & you can just take out any bits that they wee on regularly but my girls have a loo in the run so they tend to use that. It's about £10.50 a bale but I don't know how big the bale is. Would you like me to let you know I get on with it?

That sounds interesting! We get a bulk bale from horse/seed merchants as have 3 gp's and a bunny.

We have a few birdies Rhubarb thrasher...OR maybe one like this
[attachment=1]
Jackie

sambucus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 22:04:10 »
I have been using wood shavings which I can't put in the compost bin
Why can't you put them in the compost bin? Wood shavings are a perfectly acceptable ingredient in a compost heap.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:25:53 »
I thought it takes 2 years to rot down otherwise don't they deplete nitrogen from the soil?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:33:29 »
Our 2 Buns use shredded newspaper and wood based cat litter and that all goes into the compost. Compared to all of the other green stuff and straw that goes in then the amount is minimal.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:44:46 »
Remembering the days when Prince Charles was known to speak to his plants this Parrot poo is brilliant it will do the job for you, ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:21:19 »
 ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 16:34:33 »
Granny mix them in your compost bins they will be fine.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 18:17:06 »
Remembering the days when Prince Charles was known to speak to his plants this Parrot poo is brilliant it will do the job for you, ;D

Mr Sith are you the same Mr Smith married to Anjelina Jolie aka Mrs Smith?
Jackie

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 18:33:11 »
Bless.

All poo is probably good except for human poo and some horse poo. which might be contaminated. Human with a nasty bacteria which causes horrible tummy upsets and horse because the undigested grass could have aminopyralid residue in it.

You should either add it to your compost or add it to water and use that water for watering plants. I would personally add to the compost.

Do not worry about getting seeds growing like mad. The sort the parrot eats, the plants will probably die of exposure if they germinate.

Get your parrot to talk to the plants too.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 09:25:23 »
It was the sud hemp I was mostlyconcerned about  :)nfloweran
Jackie

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 07:21:42 »

Mr Sith are you the same Mr Smith married to Anjelina Jolie aka Mrs Smith?

Angelina can come and sit on Mr Smith anytime she wants, ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 18:23:09 »

All poo is probably good except for human poo and some horse poo. which might be contaminated. Human with a nasty bacteria which causes horrible tummy upsets and horse because the undigested grass could have aminopyralid residue in it.

Please don't be scared of humanure!!
http://humanurehandbook.com/index.html
download and read entire book for free
http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure_contents.html
( almost 60% of ALL sewerage in the UK is put onto / into the land as a fertiliser (biosolids engineering) )
why are folk happy to put animal sh*t on their land, but not human?
please read the entire book before responding with silly comments!!
thanks, T.Bloke ;) 8)
You couldn't make it up!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:21:21 »
It was the sud hemp I was mostlyconcerned about  :)nfloweran

i grew hemp last year from scattered bird seed but not intentionally, there was lots of volunteer seedlings coming up mainly sunflowers and the hemp which i did not identify straight away. so i potted them up to observe with the plan to identify and keep if it turned out to be something i might want. one day i asked my neighbour and his wife if the young plants looked like anything they might know and his wife immediately said marijuana. and suddenly i could see what it was hemp seedlings, so i composted them as in the UK you can't grown it with out a permit.

i felt a bit silly that my 60+ neighbours recognised what it might have been and i a 30+ didn't and i come from the West Indies :-\

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 09:01:00 »
Thifasmom, we had this growing beside the aviary one year and  it's a gorgeous plant,,,,unfortunately it had to go.
Jackie

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 10:08:08 »
yes i agree its unfortunate it had to be thrown out. i normally buy the seed at the health food stores to throw in salads and cous cous type dishes. it would have been nice to grow my own supply.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal