Author Topic: Did anyone see the weather with a gulf stream map?  (Read 6849 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Did anyone see the weather with a gulf stream map?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 18:46:23 »
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp

Fascinating.  Not sure what it means though?  Seems to be predicted to increase in strength during the week.  Will be interested in what effect that has.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 14:16:43 »
Just watched the lunch time news (BBC1) it showed the path of the Jet Stream.

Also talked about how the Met Office had 'promised' a "BBQ summer", but they say they just claimed that the odds were for a hot summer, 65%  ::)

Now the Met office are stating the odds are for a wet August and that seasonal forecasting is a new science.  :(

If they can't predict a few weeks ahead, how come they claim to know what the weather will be like in 50 years time ?  ???  ???

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 14:36:51 »

Also talked about how the Met Office had 'promised' a "BBQ summer", but they say they just claimed that the odds were for a hot summer, 65%  ::)

Now the Met office are stating the odds are for a wet August and that seasonal forecasting is a new science.  :(

If they can't predict a few weeks ahead, how come they claim to know what the weather will be like in 50 years time ?  ???  ???

Well they can't put a preventative tax on next week's weather can they?

Politics my friend - is it global warming or climate change this week? or bullsh!t?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 17:13:22 »
For all this long-range forecasting they still can't be anything like sure more than a very few days in advance. The jet stream is important since it forms along the boundary between warm and cold air streams; much of our seather is controlled by turbulence along that boundary. If the jet stream goes straight over us, we're likely to get weather like today's. But they can't forecast it's future position accurately.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 17:51:19 »

Weather and climate are two different things.  Except here in the UK where it has been said that we dont have a climate, just weather.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 18:08:03 »
We were brainwashing into thinking the next ice age was coming when I was at school.  Now it is warming.  Or is it cooling.  Sun is giving out less heat.  So who left the greenhouse door open?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 18:15:34 »
Glad it wasn't the gulf stream as my father said we (this country) would be in trouble without it.  Correct me if I am talking rubbish.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 18:25:12 »

Aaaah, I see it all now    ----    so what's next week gonna be like ?        ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 18:30:56 »
You are right Barlotti, the gulf stream would be very bad news indeed. Which is why it was great to hear the replies saying it was the jet stream......I guess at my age its often easy to get muddled......my friends laugh at me............a lot! ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 16:11:00 »
Theres a program on the Beeb tonight that will hopefully tell us all about the jet streams. I hope Star is watching.

How Earth Made Us - 3. Wind.  Tonight, 21:00 on BBC Two

Professor Iain Stewart sets sail on one of the fastest racing boats ever built to explore the story of our turbulent relationship with the wind. Travelling to iconic locations including the Sahara desert, the coast of West Africa and the South Pacific, Iain discovers how people have exploited the power of the wind for thousands of years.

The wind is a force which at first sight appears chaotic. But the patterns that lie within the atmosphere have shaped the destiny of continents, and lie at the heart of some of the greatest turning points in human history.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 16:13:59 by Pesky Wabbit »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 16:18:21 »
Thanks for that sounds fascinating.  I still miss the isobars on the weather maps.  At least you get them on sunday.  I always wished I had become a meteorologist.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 19:34:00 »
The jet stream is a high altitude wind which forms at the junction of polar and temperate air masses. So if it's north of us we get warm weather, if it's south we get cold, and if it goes right over us we get weather, as it's a turbulent boundary.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 19:48:43 »
Looks like it is going for quite a wobble this week.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal