Author Topic: Cordless strimmer  (Read 6177 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Cordless strimmer
« on: July 15, 2009, 16:03:41 »
Can anyone recommend a cordless strimmer that works? Or rather, ones to avoid!

It is only to do a small patch of grass about 2m x 1m, and the edge of the path that overhangs my plot.

Assume most will manage a job this small, but dont want to get one that keeps snapping blades or line tangling up every couple of minutes!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Cordless strimmer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 17:47:15 »
If you mean a petrol one, my McCulloch is pretty good.If you mean a re-chargeable one, can't help!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 17:55:42 »
For light work we use a Bosch Art 23 Accutrim 18V that has plastic blades instead of string, but for 2m x 1m I think I'd go for something cheaper or borrow!

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 18:58:29 »
But is it any good ?

Has it got any grunt ?
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 19:04:17 »
Slug_killer it's a strimmer not a tennis player!  ;D
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 15:20:27 »
Good price -but it says 14.4V. Mine is 18V. Still would easily cut 6 sq m of lawn!

Try freecyle for a hand lawn mower?

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 18:51:06 »
I was after an electric cordless one, as the area isnt much bigger than a large duvet.. wasnt planning on having lots more grass, so doesnt really warrant the expense of a petrol one!

There are a few flowers nearby so it needs to be manoeverable. The Bosch one looks good, like the idea of blades rather than line (as I overhear the swearing of my neighbours!)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 16:36:26 »
lewic   I hope you  don,t mind sharing this thread  as I am about to buy a strimmer for a path on my allotment. 
I like the one on Argos or even the larger one, but are plastic blades ok.
Does it tackle grass about 6" high.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 09:15:39 »
Hi Tomatoada! I bought one of these yesterday for £43. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001501/partNumber/7303676.htm

A bit more than I wanted to spend but it has an edger on it and the £28 one didnt. From what I've read the blades are OK on grass but will break if they hit anything solid, they are v easy to replace though so it looked less hassly than a line.

Sods law it is raining today and the forecast is bad all week.. so dont think I'll be road testing it for a while!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 10:12:42 »
lewic  that's the larger one I was looking at.   Can you please let me know how you like it, that is when  it stops raining.  Its raining here in south Birmingham and I thought today was suppose to be fine.   Drat this weather.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 22:09:29 »
It's been a nasty wet afternoon in Birmingham.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 12:14:59 »
Not sure whether this helps. I have the Bosch Accutrimmer and use it on both lotties to keep grass paths in check. It is okay on grass - nettles and I also use it to trim down the comfrey patch for composting and green manues before digging in. The battery lasts me for about 25 to 30 min continuous use (this is its second year and doesn't appear to have lost storage yet).

As I have a few stones on the paths i do find that the blades do break - particularly if I go to close to the path edges which are edged with wood or fences. I wouldn't have thought this would be so much of a problem on a square bit of well tended grass. The accutrimmer cost me £49 from Focus.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 08:18:43 »
Tomatoada
Finally got to try it out this morning, works fine. Did the small patch and along the edge of my plot, and tested it on some longer grass/weeds. 

It coughed a bit at long couch and bindweed, but the blade didnt break. The trick seems to be to push it away from you rather than moving it from side to side - probably would have been better if the grass wasnt wet though!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:51 »
lewic thanks.  Been waiting for your reply and I am most grateful for your comments.  I have some vouchers for Argos so will be getting one. 
Su.  thanks for your input too.  It is the same machine  as the one lewic is using?

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 23:00:04 »
for the amount of grass you have a good pair of shears would be better
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 23:26:16 »
Yes its the same one - pack of replacement blades is about £4 for 20 from B&Q

ourdai

• Not So New ...
  • Old allotmenteers never die, they just run to seed
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 08:43:07 »
Bought a power devil battery strimmer - good and cheap (£25) - working on the principle that it would get nicked eventually. I wish someone would nick it so I can buy a better one, the battery life is about 3-4 minutes from fully charged ( you do get 2 batteries with it).

Having said that, it works well when it is fully charged so I suppose little and often..........

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:12 »
Bought it.  Tried it.  Like it.   Now off to the lottie..  Thanks for help and tips on blades and edges.  I have to be careful when I pick it up that I don't switch it on.

What are shears???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal