Author Topic: Jeyes Fluid  (Read 62259 times)

Parsley

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a very friendly lion, called ....
Jeyes Fluid
« on: October 05, 2004, 10:12:44 »

Whilst down the lottie yesterday, I was talking to another Ploth Holder, who told me to use Jeyes Fluid to disinfect my tomatoe patch, that unfortunaley succomed to blight.

My questions are  

A. Is this O.K to use - I'm trying to be Organic.

B If so, how do you apply it  - ie dilution rate.    

:-[(I stupidly nodded my head knowingly, when he suggested it.)

Never eat yellow snow.....

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Jeyes Fluid
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 10:37:02 »
I think the EU has banned it from being used in gardens (not that that always stops people). It's definitely not organic.

Why not try blight resistant varieties of tomatoes instead?
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 11:32:25 »
1. I don't see any need to disinfect??
2. Armillatox & Jeyes are still regarded, by some, as organic?? We always use the former to sterilise the greenhouse & have used it to try to combat white rot.
3. E&OE! = Tim

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 12:25:35 »
wonderfull stuff Jeyes, form being a disenfectant to an antiseptic for animals wounds.
You can get it from supermarkets and garden centers check directions on tin. Think mum used one capfull to a watering can or bucket me I never measure just poor some in.
Stinks to high heaven but will clean the soil of grubs like the little black slugs that live under the surface and eat roots. Get a grub and drop it in the soloution and watch it burn up great feeling.
I would term it as organic friendly EU well they ban anything that has worked for years. You will find the old time gardeners use it and many farmers.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 17:23:16 »
I love the smell of Jeyes fluid ;D  Always means a nice clean greenhouse and pots to me.  I just follow the instructions on the tin but if I remember rightly it is about 1 capfull to a bucket.  I use it to clean everything outside from the greenhouse to the drains.  I think that there was some talk about the EEc in their wisdom banning it but then they decided not to for some reason.  I just know that I went out and bought 6 tins when i thought that I  wouldnt be getting my hands on it again. ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 17:56:14 »
Mimi - EU rulings don't count as we aren't on the map!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 18:19:25 »
Yes all of you Welshies are now outside of the Law as you don't exist!!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 19:02:45 »
What happened to Wales  >:( did it sink or is it floating accross the sea to join USA? :o
To think people draw these maps and others check them they did do a good job :P. Wonder if they are still employed ;)?
Bring back Wales  -  bring back Wales   -   bring back Wales

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 19:05:22 »
mr mimi says ,  it was banned so they changed the formula, removing naughty bit so its ok to use new stuff.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 19:15:12 »
Oh hope its as good as the old stuff  >:(. Time will tell.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 19:19:59 »
I bought some Jeyes Fluid a couple of years ago to sterilise my greenhouse, but I never used it as it said that it should only be used where plants are not growing, I had a bay tree planted near my greenhouse and was concerned that the run off would kill it. But have checked on the can and it says it degrades down in the soil and is safe without harming some beneficial insects like hoverflies. But it doesn't say it is safe for all beneficial insects, so I wonder if this means something. All the dilutions rates are clearly marked on the tin should you decide to use it. What about using a blowtorch to burn the soil surface, did someone mention this on a previous thread?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 19:26:27 »
As usual, could be wrong. But I reckon they just changed the label to keep it away from plants??

And Wales? Long may it live! Where my father market gardened, mother spoke Welsh & wife called the dolphin, off Solva, for the grandchildren - & it came. = Tim

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 19:29:02 »
Years ago farmers use to burn the stubble left from the harvesting to clean the ground then plough it in.
But now they are not allowed to do that.
Dont know about a blow torch but you can get flame guns longer lenght safer to use. I could have done with one last year when I cleaned my lottie.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 22:02:28 »
ooooooooo, I love the smell of jeyes also.  When I lived with my folks I gardened completely in pots and would water everything regularly with a very weak solution to stop the darned vine weevils.  It worked!  When I left home, a tin was left behind in dads garage, and long after he had gone to meet his maker Ava cleared the garage out for mum and came across this tin....and the jeyes had eaten it's way out of the tin!  The bottom was completely corroded away!! :o

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 22:57:08 »
Jeyes fluid cannot be beaten grew up with it for almost everything, from the lavatory to the garden and everything else in between.
The dreaded vine weeval does not stand a chance.
My mum used to clean the chicken run with it, never harmed the
chickens. I would say go ahead with it. Theres nothing else that will do a good job like Jeyes, its all nanny stuff these days. ;D.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 23:04:09 »
tim is right (as always); both Armillatox and Jeyes are still the same formula as before, the only difference is that neither may now be marketed as suitable for use as soil sterilizers, so they`ve simply been relabelled as being for cleaning patios and cowsheds.

If (perish the thought) I were so criminally inclined as to consider using either of the two preparations to sterilize my soil I would prefer Armillatox - but then again, I would never dream of doing such a wicked thing.

On the other hand, using a flame gun is perfectly legal, and it certainly works with potato blight, although it is best done immediately after the diseased plants are removed and before the blight spores get washed too deeply into the soil.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 09:54:06 »
hehe - or words to that effect!!!

Parsley

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a very friendly lion, called ....
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 11:19:50 »

Many thanks for the replies.

Looks as though I'l have to be quicker of the mark with my weed wand. Should I get the dreaded Bliught next year.
Never eat yellow snow.....

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 18:14:47 »
Emma - I believe that Coca Cola does the same?? = Tim

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 15:04:40 »
Gosh, I am feeling brave today.

First, I must give my mum a ring tonight - just to make sure that she's still there (in Swansea that is).

I watered Jeyes Fluid onto my onion bed a couple of years ago (at the end of the season) when the lotty site was hit with a powdery mildew that wiped out everyone's onions (of every variety).  The following year my onions were green for longer than anyone elses and I actually managed a crop - felt dead smug I can tell you.

There is a slight down side to using this liquid - for days afterwards there is a strand urge to take a pee everytime you go near the area.
Always look on the bright side of life

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal