Author Topic: Chicken coops  (Read 6202 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Chicken coops
« on: July 12, 2009, 13:50:03 »
Hi,

As some of you might know we have decided to get some chickens for the back garden. We are in the process of collecting wood etc to make the chicken coop. We do have the main structure a Wooden box used in the packaging industry  1300 x 1100 x 1000 Handy as it has liftable flaps already in place and the base is attached to a pallet so will be easy (Famous last words) to attach legs so they have cover when they are in their run. We have applied to adopt 4 ex bats in august fingers crossed. What breed will they be? Just so i can work out how high the roost needs to be. How big should i make the nest box's? I was thinking of putting 3 in so we have plenty if we decide to add more chickens at some point.

We are just looking forward to the eggs but is there anyone on here that eats their chickens? When i asked someone at the lottie what they do to theres if it falls ill they replied it becomes chicken stock  ;D

Cant wait to get started once the weather dries up a little.
Lucy

t

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Chicken coops
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 15:24:53 »
We have applied to adopt 4 ex bats in august fingers crossed. What breed will they be? Just so i can work out how high the roost needs to be. How big should i make the nest box's? I was thinking of putting 3 in so we have plenty if we decide to add more chickens at some point.

We are just looking forward to the eggs but is there anyone on here that eats their chickens?

Not sure about the breed of the ex-bats (have to ask the previous owner if possible).
I know its a kind thing to give ex-bats a nice home but don't forget hybrid hens used for battery production usually have a short life and their best laying days are over - you might find that after a couple of years they are laying very few eggs - but still eating the same amount of your food.
If the roosts are 3ft of the ground then the majority of 'standard' birds can easily reach them. Worth putting a removable tray under the perches to catch the chicken pooh - I cover mine with newspaper and clear them every 2/3 days. Keeps the rest of the coop much cleaner too.
The rule of thumb is one nest box per 3 birds.  A size of approx. 45cm (18ins)  square each can accommodate most birds. I have 3 boxes for 10 birds and they invariably all lay in the same one (the darkest) even if there are 2/3 hens at a time in there! Make them as dark as possible - this can help prevent egg eating and they will lay there in preference to anywhere else.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 16:42:57 »
Thanks. I had noticed that most brought chicken coops have a sort of floating laying area(am i making sense) is this to make it darker or because of the limited floor space? Will put something under the perches thanks for the tip.

Thanks lucy

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 18:52:25 »
Thanks. I had noticed that most brought chicken coops have a sort of floating laying area(am i making sense) is this to make it darker or because of the limited floor space?

If you mean off the ground then it probably is to save space. Don't have the nest boxes too far off the ground or they will sleep in it (and poo in it whilst they sleep, making a mess of any eggs laid there).
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 19:05:07 »
ex batts don't have enough meat on them, even for chicken stock  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 20:14:45 »
Catwalk Chicks then Manics ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 21:10:49 »
Catwalk Chicks then Manics

;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 21:23:40 »
yep, all size 0  ;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:46:39 »
Had a email last night collecting 4 ex bats on the 22nd August  ;D ;D ;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 14:23:53 »
so excited  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 19:16:20 »
congratulations, they are lovely things  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 19:18:30 by manicscousers »

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:10 »
Thankyou  ;D Got the weekend planned going down the  allotment and buliding the coop hope the rain stays away for a couple of hours atleast!

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:06 »
Make the nest boxes 40cm square or so and low down you can  hang material three quarters of the way over the front to make them darker

when putting perches in wood 2in x 2in is ideal, take two top sharp edges off with a plane or sander to smooth them

If you plan to put more than one perch in dont make them one above the other!

If your nest boxes are not enclosed dont put the perch above them or they will fill with poo in the night  :o

Ex battery hens are nearly always Warrens (AKA - Gingernuts, ISA browns and Lohman browns, they are are pretty much the same thing) they are usually cheeky and friendly but ex batts need some time to settle in and recover and don't expect them to be grateful they can be a bit of aggro at first and will worry you by taking a pop at each other but unless there is blood drawn leave them to it

Good luck!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal