Author Topic: Sprouts  (Read 2200 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Sprouts
« on: October 04, 2004, 16:17:10 »
I love sprouts.

Tell me more about growing them. What's a good variety (tasty and easy to grow)?

How much room for how long does one plant take and how many sprouts could I expect to get off each plant?

Could I start the plants in pots and put them in the ground after the summer veg?

(I don't have much room!)
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 23:50:31 »
Should be able to start some off in pots then plant out July ish. Probably not ideal for early sprouts though.

Got two varieties - a red, and a green one. Time will tell. They can be in the ground for quite a long time - some varieties can be harvested in September, others upto March or so. I'll have a read of my seed catalogues tonight and get back to you tomorrow!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 09:50:36 »
Big article about growing sprouts in this months Kitchen Garden mag.

It says for peeps with a small plot go for F1 hybrids.  They do best in rich soil with plenty of organic matter in.  For earlies sprouts for harvest in Aug, sow in Feb, mid March to mid April sowings will provide late autumn and winter crop.  Even for smaller plants, 'they' recommend good spacing of at least 2 foot.  (mine are closer, so I guess I will be getting smaller sprouts!)

Sprout taste test carried out by Which mag reckoned on Braveheart, Romulus and Maximus as the sweetest with good texture, but others that are top of the sweet list are Bridge and Oliver.

Hope this helps Aqui.  I couldn't be without sprouts in my garden or plot as they are my MOST fave green veggie.  I plan to have a low harvesting period next year starting early and finishing late, altho guess what...tis only me that likes them so one or two plants will be enough!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 10:33:37 »
Thanks Emma - that's very useful. I'll print that off now.

Another stupid question - do I have to resow every year or are they periennials?

I adore sprouts - I even loved them as a child!

PS - anyone got a couple of spare seeds to swap?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 10:33:59 by aquilegia »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 13:03:09 »
Nope, grow new every year I'm afraid.  I love the way sprouts look when they are growing up the stem in a spiral formation.  Love 'em.

I don't have any seed yet, waiting to see what Santa in the shape of my sister gives me for Chrimble before I order any.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 13:25:31 »
It's it so bizarre how they grew. I only found out how they grew recently through seeing a picture on here!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 13:53:33 »
hehehehehe.  I remember when I was a 'ickle girlie going to a fruit and veg stall in Wimbledon, up by the dog stadium, around chrimble time as quite a crowd had gathered.  What were they all snapping up and looking at in awe......the wonder that was, sprouts on the stem!   ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 23:19:48 »
Would re-inforce the comment about growing F1's. The older OP types need a lot more space and mature over a much greater period of time. The problem with that is that there are no F1 red cvs. but their taste is a cut above the green ones!
You can accelerate sizing up of any cv. of sprouts by 'topping out' the plants in late summer.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal