Author Topic: when are onions ready to harvest  (Read 3126 times)

russweth

• Not So New ...
when are onions ready to harvest
« on: July 12, 2009, 18:03:14 »
as a a new allotment holder i planted Japanese onion sets last year but most have grown to big and split in two! i dont make the same mistake, when is the tell tale sign i can i lift onion sets planted in April This year i've grown  red onions they seem a good size now but one of my allotment friends say the tops should be bent down for a afew weeks  before harvest.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Re: when are onions ready to harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 18:38:00 »
Maybe things have changed, but I'd say onions grown from sets normally split into several bulbs. It is natural.

At the end of their growing season onion leaves turn yellow and flop over. Leave them for another 2 weeks or so, then take them out for drying.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 18:47:31 »
onions grown from sets normally split into several bulbs

My shallots have split into several bulbs but all of my onions only a single bulb.  Mine bend over and I have tipped them out for drying, but mostly because I wanted the space for something else. 

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 18:48:09 »
Maybe things have changed, but I'd say onions grown from sets normally split into several bulbs. It is natural.
This is only true for Shallots - 'normal' onions just give you 1 bulb per set planted.
At the end of their growing season onion leaves turn yellow and flop over. Leave them for another 2 weeks or so, then take them out for drying.

Agree with this bit - the stems will fold over by themselves (unless the bulb has developed a thick neck and these won't fold over). Some people like to pull them out of the ground and leave them on the soil surface with their root side facing the sun - said to help 'ripen' them so they store longer.

If its wet weather when its time to pull them up, then wash off any soil and leave them somewhere to dry off properly (greenhouse staging is good for this). Discard any dry/mouldy leaves - taking care not to damage the main bulb when pulling them off. Then put them in an old carrot sack (or similar) and hang then somewhere cool, dry and with good ventilation. This way they will keep right htrough the winter.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 19:00:36 »

I've been wondering the same thing too....mine are starting to grow flower buds although they aren't falling over or gone yellow yet?? 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 20:02:21 »
Ours had not all fallen over but we didn't want them to spoil so we ousted them and they are now drying with a tarpaulin cover above them to stop them getting wet. The swift onions were much smaller and still erect so we have left them in to see if they will put on a bit of weight(wont be growing them again) We like them to be out for early July.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 20:53:12 »
A lot of people on our site bend them over, I think they said to stop the goodness from giving any more growth to the greenery and to the onion instead.      ???   :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal