Author Topic: Neutering  (Read 3376 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Neutering
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:37:27 »
When is the best time to get a dog neutered?
Mine is 6 months old now and would like to know when do get this done and rough idea of cost involved.
I do not want her to have a litter and feel that there are to many breeders out there doing this for money not love.
I try to be the responsible one but sometimes it can be difficullt with the kids saying we dhould have pups.
I have had heinz varieties in the past, but this one is KC reg and want to do the right thing.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Ishard

• Hectare
Re: Neutering
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:11 »
The best time to have her spayed is right between seasons because you then keep the coat in good condition.
The coat tends to go either woolly or sparse without her ovries so anything you can do to help is all to the good.

So if she has her first season at 9 months then 4.5 months after that get her spayed. Dependant on where you live and your income you can get spaying free through the PDSA but if not each area is different prices. I should phone around about the costs.

I ask for a reversable anesthetic so if any problems occur when shes out they can bring her round quickly, this costs a little more but is well worth it.

Do not have her spayed before 1 year or she could have urine incontinence and dribble.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 19:55:55 »
Thanks IsHard,
The problem we have is that she cannot go through the first season due to her having a heart condition. It would be nice to get her done when the time is right for her. But I am worried more about the heart condition.
Is there a way of keeping her away from those who would be wanting to mate with her?
If not then would we have to keep her in until the season has pasted?

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:48:15 »
Keep her in untill the season has finished or you will get dogs tracing her home and living on your dorrstep. Been there done that. Anyway the season is only 3 weeks.
If she does get accidently mated dont try to seperate them as you will do damage to both dogs and you can get a tablet so she doesnt get pregnant.

Has the vet actually told she cant have a season cos of her heart? The spaying operation will be much more taxing on her heart than a season.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:51:45 by Ishard »

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:39:06 »
It seems that she has a few more problems than we first thought. She has got some kind of problem inside and is unable to go through a whole pregnancy due to internal complications. Not sure what he meant as there was a lot of Latin and difficult to understand terms. The scan and ultra sound was a costly affair and we have opted to go with the spaying to hopefully stop any further problems later in life.
Glad I took out the pet insurance when we did. Premiums will rise me thinks.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 13:45:19 »
If the vet hasnt actually said to not allow her to have a full season then its better to let her then spay afterwards as I first suggested. :)

The season isnt too bad as its one week coming, 1 week here, and 1 week going.
The b-itch will generally clean herself and not make a mess (if she drips then point to the dri on the floor and usually they clean it up themselves) and its only for 2 or 3 days that she will be receptive to a dog anyway. Some b-itches get a bit grumpy or fed up during this time but with most you wouldnt even know.

I certainly do not believe in mating any b-itch only those that are truly reprsentative of the breed anyway so unlees anyone has a show winner and can garantee good homes and will take pups back should that home fall apart then NEVER breed. There are just too many unwanted dogs in this world.

Hope this helps

Jackie  :)

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 23:13:22 »
Thanks for the info. I am worried that if she falls then the problems will multiply. I would rather not the worry as most of the village pass our house to gain access to the fields at the rear of our place.
I think the front door bell will need replacing after her season with all the callers she will get. ;)

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:40:55 »
You are very welcome.

PLease let us know how everything goes.  :)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 19:44:27 »

I certainly do not believe in mating any b-itch only those that are truly reprsentative of the breed anyway so unlees anyone has a show winner and can garantee good homes and will take pups back should that home fall apart then NEVER breed. There are just too many unwanted dogs in this world.

Hope this helps

Jackie  :)

Just wanted to say that this is excellent advice from Jackie.  Too many people let their dogs have a litter because they believe it is "good for them" without giving any thought to the consequences.
Just out of interest, what breed is she?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 19:47:38 »
Thanks all,
I will keep you updated as to what the outcome will be. She will not be having a litter, thats for sure.
I have yet to ask the ?? of cost to my vet. I shall be seeing them tomorrow and put it to them.
She has another 3 months till her first season so hope that she gets through this and onto better things. :)

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 23:44:28 »
All,
Just to let you all know she has been booked in for the snip next week.
This is under the advisement of the vet.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 22:28:19 »
Well tomorrow is the day poor old winnie goes under the knife to prevent any unwanted litters.  :o

She will more than likely be very upset with me for having this done to her.  :'(

She goes in  at 9am and I pick her up again about 4.30pm. Hope all goes well.

A financial thought came out of this and that is which is cheaper puppies or an op?

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:14 »
Finally,
She is back home and there seems to be no problems as yet or if any are there.
She is of good spirits and not short of an appetite.
All went well and the vet said he would have here back in 8 -10 days for stitch removal.
At least we do not have the worry of her having a litter to bring up.
A big thank you to the vet for doing this and thanks for all the info on here in swaying my decision in getting her done.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 20:36:59 »
Im glad everything has gone well for your little bi-tch  ;D

As soon as she is well again you can add corn oil (Mazola ect) to her food to help her coat, 2 teaspoons per day.

PS pups are much much more expensive if its done properly, in fact my last litter cost £1000.00 to rear.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal