Author Topic: Jasminum  (Read 1551 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Jasminum
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:47:10 »
I have been nurturing two Jasmins- Officinale (common white) and stephanense (pink) for three years, they are now nice strong plants ready to plant out.
My dilemma is I have space (even that's debateable) for one.
I would like to plant one on a west facing fence and hope it will scramble over the roof of my green house.
Has anyone any experience of these and given this choice which one would be best suited to these planting conditions?
Any advice would be most welcome, many thanks for giving it some thought.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Jasminum
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:50:38 »
Ours grows very strongly outside here, if a little top heavy... so should be good on a shed roof! Think it's officinale...  :-\

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 22:41:03 »
I planted the common white jasmine on a west facing wall. It didn't just cover my fence, it covered the neighbour's pergola and totally invaded their grapevine. It's strong!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:10:48 »
Mant thanks - need to give it some thought, I have a very rampant Clematis 'Bill Mackenzie' which is lovely but my my it does take some hacking back thoughout the year! not sure whether I want anything else quite so demanding.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:29:26 »
I have a basic 'officinale'. it was originaly planted to cover a tripod of stout fence posts but has now totaly buried the posts and is more like a large shrub! In fact the other day I had to give it a good hack back to stop it taking over the border and a nearby path. Took away about half the growth, but to look at it you wouldnt think it had been touched. Looks better though.

You have been warned!

I should point out that I live in a mild area of the country. Jasmine wouldnt be as vigorous in the north or in Scotland. Might not even be fully hardy in some places.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal