Author Topic: Another Aluminium/Polycarbonate Greenhouse question  (Read 3048 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Another Aluminium/Polycarbonate Greenhouse question
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:51:12 »
My plastic greenhouse has just had it after 3 years good service so I'm looking for something a bit more sturdy and flexible. It's not so easy in Spain but I've found one company with reasonable prices. How does this look to you, price is just under €600

Transparent version http://www.minicamp.es/mediapool/80/803939/images/SILVER6X8_1_.jpg

Panelled version http://www.minicamp.es/mediapool/80/803939/images/PANELADO6X8.jpg

Measurements: 255 x 193 x 203cm.
Door height: 1,59m.
Inside surface area: 4,92m²

It'll be used for overwintering stuff, mainly chillies and starting stuff off early. Winters are cold, frosts from late November to mid-April so I'd need some heating. I'd probably have to empty it in Summer as temperatures get to over 35ºC regularly.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Another Aluminium/Polycarbonate Greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 13:05:01 »
I'm not very good with metric but it seems rather pricey to me.  Depends what they include for the money. 

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 13:08:09 »
Thanks, I doubt there's a lot of demand here hence the prices maybe - shipping is included by the way.

They do this polytunnel too http://www.minicamp.es/mediapool/80/803939/images/Sin-titulo-48.jpg for around €900 but it looks a bit more flimsy and we do get quite a bit of wind here.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 13:27:25 »
I have found several spanish forums where there has been quite a lot of discussion about greenhouses.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:28:35 »
Does anyone else have a any thoughts on the suitability of the greenhouses in the posts above?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 20:03:55 »
You have to understand elhuerto, that not all of us old duckers are terribly mectric wise.  From my calculations the greenhouse you are thinking of buying is 8'x6'.

We have one, of that size, which would be £50, collected.  It is glazed, glass included.

I would avoid polycarbonate like the plague.  It is too flexible, and on a windy day the panes of your greenhouse could be miles away.

valmarg

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 20:37:01 »
I have a glass and a polycarb greenhse. We had an awful storm with high winds and both were fine. I think a lot depends on whether or not the polycarb is a good thickness and if decent w clips used
Jackie

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:42 »
Thanks Hector, seems like I'd really need to see it "in the flesh" and the company is about 1000km (ooops sorry 621 miles and 653.2 yards) away. I'll keep looking.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 21:54:06 »
Thanks Hector, seems like I'd really need to see it "in the flesh" and the company is about 1000km (ooops sorry 621 miles and 653.2 yards) away. I'll keep looking.

Do they say what width the polycarbonate is? Maybe they would post you a sample?
Good luck!
Jackie

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 20:16:08 »
Still hunting around for a greenhouse and found this one which seems to be the same one I posted above but larger and about half the price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEAL-OF-THE-WEEK-10x6-GREENHOUSE-CLEAR-POLYCARBONATE_W0QQitemZ360187067507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV?hash=item53dcd27c73&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

From the description and dimensions etc. do you think that'll be sturdy enough and worth the hassle of sorting out transport to Spain? Any drawbacks you can see there?

Cheers

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:05:42 »
An additional question here if you don't mind. I've found another outlet selling the same greenhouses, slightly more expensive but with the option of 2 autovents, would you say that's a "must-have" or just handy?

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal