Author Topic: White line parking question  (Read 21081 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
White line parking question
« on: July 09, 2009, 19:59:30 »
Does anyone know if a person who has this kind of white line across their drive can forbid people to park there?  Today I visited an elderly bed-ridden friend who lives opposite the house with the white lines.  There was nowhere to park except a space in front of the house which meant that I was about one foot over the lines. There are double yellows on the opposite side of the road.
When I returned to my car the woman had left a notice stuck to my windscreen telling me not to park over her dropped kerb or on the white line.  The notice would not come off and I had to drive home with it stuck there.

There is more to this story - I will elaborate if anyone is interested. >:(

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

daileg

• Hectare
Re: White line parking question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 20:02:36 »

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 20:12:53 »
It looks like the lady paid to have the kerb dropped and also paid to have a white line painted across her dropped kerb more than likely she might be disabled herself, :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 20:18:49 »
It's not the person who forbids parking across dropped kerbs, it's the law.  Whether you would have got a ticket for overlapping by a foot would probably depend on what kind of day the officer was having.  I'd guess that the resident has had a lot of trouble with blocking of their access for them to have taken the action they did.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 20:41:55 »
Squash - dear heart,
If it was a nice day & your friend was not far away, could you have walked perchance?
 :D :D :D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 21:09:52 »
She doesn't have the right to stick a permanent label when a bit of paper under the windscreen wiper would have sufficed.
That is criminal damage.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 21:14:07 »
It looks like the lady paid to have the kerb dropped and also paid to have a white line painted across her dropped kerb more than likely she might be disabled herself, :)

Yes, I think she did pay for them herself.  So does that mean that anyone can have a white line painted across the dropped kerb, or is it only for disabled?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 21:15:36 »
http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/news/parking-at-dropped-kerbs.html

hope this helps  >:(
Well it sort-of helped.  But from what I understood of it, someone could be prosecuted for parking across their own dropped kerb.  :o
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 21:17:15 »
It's not the person who forbids parking across dropped kerbs, it's the law.  Whether you would have got a ticket for overlapping by a foot would probably depend on what kind of day the officer was having.  I'd guess that the resident has had a lot of trouble with blocking of their access for them to have taken the action they did.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

No, not what I wanted to hear :(
In my innocence, I thought it was only double yellows that we couldn't park on. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 21:19:12 »
Where the parking is specifically for disabled people, it is marked disabled.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 21:21:01 »
Squash - dear heart,
If it was a nice day & your friend was not far away, could you have walked perchance?
 :D :D :D
Thanks for that, it really made me laugh!
Yes, it was a nice day.
No, my friend was not far away.
Yes, I could have walked.....
but I was too knackered after a morning digging out a bed full of switch grass to walk anywhere. That's my excuse anyway.....
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 21:22:49 »
She doesn't have the right to stick a permanent label when a bit of paper under the windscreen wiper would have sufficed.
That is criminal damage.

The label was stuck so firmly that only water and a scraper would have got it off.  Quite annoying really.  It's still there, I left it to show my husband when he came home.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 21:25:01 »
Where the parking is specifically for disabled people, it is marked disabled.

That's what I would have thought.  There was no disabled sign there, but I wasn't even blocking her in anyway.
I trimmed the photo, but the original shows how much room there was.  If she couldn't get the car out, she shouldn't be on the road.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 21:26:14 »
as someone who has a dropped kerb allowing access to our drive and garage I understand the residents frustration >:(we've often been hemmed in by people when our car has been parked on the drive ready to drive away.While I'm sure you didn't mean to upset anyone if i was the anyone in question you would have upset me >:(  sorry squash :-*
sanity is overated

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 22:20:47 »

Yes, I think she did pay for them herself.  So does that mean that anyone can have a white line painted across the dropped kerb, or is it only for disabled?

Squash,
          Do you have a drive or a parking space outside your house, of course you do and I bet you don't like anyone parking on your patch, ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 22:40:48 »
Do what I did, give up your car and buy a bike.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 22:42:52 »

I can understand how someone would be angry if they were blocked in but I genuinely thought that I had left plenty of room for her car to get out.  I do have a dropped kerb myself and many times cars have parked across it but I have never felt the need to stick something on their windscreen.  I prefer to speak to people, not leave messages.  I do know the woman concerned and she knew which house I was visiting.  If I had blocked her in I would have apologised and moved my car immediately but she preferred to leave a message rather than talk to me.

I am not the most brilliant driver in the world but I wouldn't have had any difficulty getting out of the drive.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:50 »
Legally,  dropped kerbs are to be fitted by the council,  hence a hefty bill,  currently around £700 in our borough.  If people have had it done themselves,  or if there are entrance gates with no dropped kerbs fitted by the council then you cannot be given a ticket because the access is illegal and, unfortunately,  you are free to park across the entrance.  We complained to the council about parking across our dropped kerbs.  We paid for them to paint the white line across the access.  They will only do this if they fitted it.  You can then be given an illegally parked ticket if you park on it as it becomes an official No Parking area.

There are several of these now on our street, but only for houses where the kerbs have been council fitted.  Our neighbour opposite,  was refused the white line because he had done the kerbs himself.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 08:13:34 »
Are you saying she couldn't get the silver car on the left past the turquoise car on the right? If so, that's hilarious!

(apart from the sellotape on paint bit...).

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 09:18:12 »
I don't think that it is not the point she could not get her car out, due to your overlapping her drive you have put her in a position were she now has to reverse right out into on coming traffic from the other side of the road in order to get out of her drive. 

I know how she feels as i live on a narrow road and people park opposite my drive and in order to get out / in i end up having to do a 10 point turn. This would not be so bad if the road was quite, but we do get the odd nutter on a regular basis who thinks he / she is a F1 driver and then get annoyed that they have to slam on because you are in the middle of the road and then on some occasions i have been forced to go back in the drive as they have no intention of waiting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal