Author Topic: My dog is very ill.  (Read 7368 times)

cacran

• Hectare
My dog is very ill.
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:20 »
My dog is very ill. she has been on a drip at the vets for two days now. Her bowel is infected with lots of gas in and around it. she is not eating or drinking on her own. she is only almost 3 and we are all heart broken. the vet says she ust have picked something up on her travels. she is a beagle so prone to picking allsorts of things up. I sometmes take her to the allotment. I let her loose in my plot and she picks up sticks and goes for the strawberries. I do not use weed killers . the only thing I have recently done is sprinkle some growmore on the plot. God, I am praying that that is not what has done it. anyone know???? ???

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: My dog is very ill.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:32:39 »
Oh cacran - I do hope she pulls through. She's in good hands.
twinkletoes

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:37:01 »
Hope she makes it,cacran. Don't beat yourself up- dogs will eat anythingand you can't stop them.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:29:43 »
tis tough when  your pet gets sick

i hope that everything is ok

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:48:32 »
Hoping she will pull through.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:18:30 »
So sorry to hear about your pet. Do hope she gets better
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:01 »
I am sorry to hear about your dog Carcran and hope she is better soon.  I don't think she would have eaten growmore or that it would have done her so much harm.  It is more likely that she has eaten a rotting mouse, rat or bird or even picked up an infection from another dogs faeces.  She may have drunk some infected water.

Our dog was very ill when we were on holiday in Cornwall a few weeks ago.  We thought we were going to lose her but she pulled through.  She wasn't on a drip though and the vet gave her antibiotics and some medicine in a tube with a syringe that we had to give her daily.  She pulled through and is really well now.  

We don't know what caused it but suspected water at our campsite especially as two people in the next caravan were ill all week with diarrhea.  We had filtered all our water but I did fill up our dog's bowl directly from the tap when we first arrived.  I didn't suspect the water until we were leaving and the receptionist said out of the blue, "I don't think it would be the water as we have had the pipes replaced"  Afterwards I wondered why she said that and if they had experienced problems with people and dogs being ill previously.  

Your dog is young Carcran and in good hands and has age on her side.  Please do not feel guilty about putting down growmore as it is much more likely to have been something else.  Looking forward to hearing that she is recovering soon.

Wishing her well soon and please let us  know how she gets on.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:13:18 by Paulines7 »

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:59:07 »
Hope she is better soon.  My labrador was on a drip for 10 days after her spaying operation went wrong - she is fantastic now - so hopefully the same outcome for you.

Just a thought but could she have picked up a slug pellet or two on her feet from neighbouring plots and licked her feet?  I am pretty sure that is what happened to one of my chickens that died unexpectedly and had got out onto my plot when I was not looking.

It is astonishing how well and quickly they do recover tho!  Best wishes anyway!

Old Bird

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 17:14:55 »
Thanks for all you replies. Rosie has been sent home by the vet. she is still very poorly though. The vet thinks that she probably just has a bowel problem as the walls of bowel are thicker than they should be. Not sure what it means for the future as they did not expalin further. I am not convinced she is well enough to be home but aybe things will pick up. thankyou for all your kind words. I will keep you updated. :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 18:11:36 »
Sadly my dog had to return to the vets. she has had an operation. they have found growths on her bowel. they will be testing them tomorrow to see if they are malignant. Not looking too promising. :'(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 18:19:49 »
such a shame, cacran, I'll keep everything crossed, positive vibes coming your way  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 18:36:56 »
So sorry that your dog is still very poorly. Hope that the op does the trick
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 18:43:09 »
Hope your dog pulls though hun, i knowhow you feel i have 5 dogs and im heart broken when anything goes wrong with them :(
Try her on some live yoghert when she comes home it helps the gut to settle down, im hoping its just pollops on her bowel  ((((((((hugs))))))))

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 19:03:22 »
oh im so sorry positive thoughts for your little dog

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 15:36:17 »
Oh I am so sorry hope your dog pulls around, cyber hugs for a speedy recovery. :-*

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 23:38:53 »
Rosie is still at the vets. she is still on a drip but they say she is showing signs of improvement today. thanks for the positive vibes, keep them coming, please.

I don't want them to send her home too soon though, like they did before.
We feel lost without her.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 00:07:58 »
oh bless Rosie, she is a fighter, cyber hugs to you and Rosie. We lost our pup ( well she was 12) a few months back still have the mum shes 14-15 now but without the youngster our place is quiet. Do you have her insured?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 00:09:48 »
Keeping everything crossed for you......hope to hear good news soon.Sending hugs.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 21:47:24 »
Well Rosie has come home. She is a bit delicate but better than last time, she came home. She has a lot of medication still to take. We should get the result of the test by weekend, so will be crossing everything.
Stupid us did not have her insured. We kept talking about it and never did it, typical! No one to blame but ourselves though. :-[

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 22:07:33 »
Good she is home now.You can give her a lot of TLC :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal