Author Topic: Stupid Pea Question  (Read 902 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
Stupid Pea Question
« on: July 05, 2009, 20:33:47 »
I hope someone can help and explain why I have trouble growing peas this time of year?
Earlier in the year I grew 6 varieties of peas and mangetouts with good success: after we had some nice crop, and the plants started to die off, I decided to start off some new seeds from the same packets, as it said they could be sowed as late as the end of June.
So, I tried another batch around the 23rd June, but nothing happened. Not a single seedling! The same thing happened last year, when I blamed this failure on all sorts of things I might have done wrong. This year I was extra careful to do everything by the book, but again no show!
Any suggestions what might be the reason, please?

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Stupid Pea Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 22:34:35 »
Apart from all the various living creatures, the three biggest enemies to satisfactory germination of peas are, cold, wet and heat.  The seedsmen often seem to quote sowing dates which only apply in the most favourable parts of the country, and since the 23rd June those parts would probably have been the Outer Hebrides or the Shetlands.

You`ve just been unlucky in getting a heatwave when you didn`t want one

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:24 »
Thanks, Kepouros
it did occur to me that despite my efforts at recreating the same environment growing conditions were rather different than in the spring, but hadn't thought of heat being counterproductive.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 18:06:55 »
too hot most prob. try doingit under shade till they germinate.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal