Author Topic: Native garden plants  (Read 6667 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Native garden plants
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 11:29:11 »
I have set up a wild patch under the Oak tree and wonder what to add there to intrest and keep wildlife happy.

Area around here is protected and covers about 5 sq m.
There is a bird table and bath for them at the moment, but I would like some ideas on what to put in as there is a lot of shade there as well as the log pile.

Any thoughts on what could be used?

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:52 »
There's a website   www.nonnativespecies.org    where there's a list of non native, invasive plants to be avoided. As much as we love them, Budleja's on the list ! 

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 11:52:32 »
Got some hazels growing close by but there is space for smaller ones to plant there too. Some some low growing natives would be good.
Hornbesm and holly are out the front and they are doing well now.
Foxgloves are still growing and hope they throw up some colour next year.
I am lucky to have some snowdrops and cowslips under the tree, seems they came with it when I bought the tree. It was 6 meters high when planted.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 11:54:38 »
GOOD FOR YOU. :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 12:12:17 »
Dogwoods, Gooseberries and raspberries can grow in part shade and some birds love the berries.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 19:56:44 »
Thanks for that grannyannie, nut here the squirrels would get first try at anything.
They had all my acorns and the cob nuts last year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 22:31:27 »
There are plenty of shade plants you can try. Wood anemones, bluebells, ramsons for a start. Most of them tend to flower in spring and get it over with before the shade gets too thick, so it's harder to think of flowers for later in the season.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 11:04:27 »
Thanks for that grannyannie, nut here the squirrels would get first try at anything.
They had all my acorns and the cob nuts last year.
Sounds like you need Open Season on squirrels for awhile, or bring on the hawks.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 23:20:06 »
Heard they are for the table as well. Not sure if youneed to get a nut stuffing for bulking them out. At least You can eat a topic without fear of any squirrel in it.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:42 »
Heard they are for the table as well. Not sure if youneed to get a nut stuffing for bulking them out. At least You can eat a topic without fear of any squirrel in it.
We ate squirrel as children but can't say we liked it after seeing it being skinned and gutted. Still remember that horrible smell :o

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 22:22:52 »
That smell is not as bad as the pheasant I used to do in the butchers for christmas.
Now that smell did make me feel unwell.
Bet the squirrels had a nutty smell to them :o

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 23:46:46 »
That smell is not as bad as the pheasant I used to do in the butchers for christmas.
Now that smell did make me feel unwell.
Bet the squirrels had a nutty smell to them :o
errrrr, no can't say it was nutty. In fact of nuts smelled like that you'd never catch anyone eating nuts. More like a blood n' fecal smell.  ewwwww!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:47 »
Hi Landimad

I'm a bit of a fan of native planting too, and I've even laid my allotment hedge and gapped it up with bird-friendly species, but there are some issues.

Taking cuttings produces clones without any genetic diversity.  This was what did for the English elm, no diversity, and so no ability to evolve immunity to Dutch elm disease.

Growing from seed creates genetic diversity if the seed are collected from a range of locally native plants, though this can be difficult because it's been common for stock to be brought in from a long way away, and often from abroad - it's the same species but it doesn't have the local adaptations that locally-native plants have developed since the ice age.  Collecting seed from ancient woods is often the best you can do.

Growing from seed is easy for hazel and not difficult for hawthorn, though some species need statification and others like lime and field maple are difficult.

Hornbeam isn't native to the midlands, its natural range doesn't extend beyound Kent.

Not all species make a good laid hedge.  Hawthorn is excellent, but beech and hornbeam don't work so well.  Hazel doesn't lay well and doesn't even make a very good hedge.

There's a cultural dimension too.  Enclosure hedges were often exclusively hawthorn - it was a legal condition.  It was also equally traditional to gap up hedges with whatever came to hand and a bit of invasion would create a little diversity, but there's a strong cultural argument for planting hawthorn only if you're renovating an original enclosure hedge.  Personally I think the argument's too precious and even for an enclosure hedge I think it's legitimate to replant with a wildlife-friendly mix of species as a modern take on the original.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:33:08 by Unwashed »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 23:11:39 »
Good on ya Unwashed,
I too believe in growing from seed, But at the moment I have had to do things from cuttings until the seeds have matured into decent sized plants to put in.
Its a shame that the big companies do not do this as a reserve for any mishaps that may occur in their nurseries.
At least we can keep good lines in nature going. ;)

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:15 »
Just to update you about the native plants.

I have taken some cuttings of Hawthorn, Buckthorn and Quickthorn for a hedge which shall be going in on the outside fence along the farm track next to our property.
This should create a hedge of about 32m long and approx 8 foot high. Should be the bees knees and des res for the wildlife in time.
Only problem is around here are the kids who are bored with nothing to do.
Hope I can get this to grow well.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 16:21:53 »
I understand hawthorn and quickthorn to be the same thing - Crataegus monogyna.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 21:17:10 »
Very true Unwashed,

The quickthorn, Hawthorn, Whitethorn, and Maythorn are all the same.
I suppose it depends on what part of the country you are from.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:40 »
There's a cultural dimension too.  Enclosure hedges were often exclusively hawthorn - it was a legal condition.  It was also equally traditional to gap up hedges with whatever came to hand and a bit of invasion would create a little diversity, but there's a strong cultural argument for planting hawthorn only if you're renovating an original enclosure hedge.  Personally I think the argument's too precious and even for an enclosure hedge I think it's legitimate to replant with a wildlife-friendly mix of species as a modern take on the original.

A hedge gains, on average, around one species per century. So a 200-year-old enclosure hedge ought to have the odd extra species in it by this time!

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 19:08:48 »
Just to keep you all updated,

Found these little chppies up for grabs, and thought they would make a good addition to the native garden.

TUFTED VETCH
Vicia cracca

Small but able to fit under the Oak tree and give flowers June through August.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal