Author Topic: water  (Read 2766 times)

janreb

• Not So New ...
water
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:04:54 »
As the waiting list for council allotments in our area is so long we have spent two years looking for more land. We have been offered an ideal (almost) piece of land but there is just one problem - no water supply, and we aren't sure we'd be allowed to have water put in. Does anyone out there manage without a mains water supply? How do you do it?
We are very lucky with our council, they do all they can to help us but this is private land and it will be our group who are leasing it, not the council.
Grateful for any advice.
Jane

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
Re: water
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:45:39 »
sure do

collect all we can in Brixworth Northants

and then its about mulch summer autumn and winter!!

I reckon that mains water costs money to get installed and then annual charges

Rainwater is free and when it is self -collected it realy does help one prioritise what plants to grow etc

it changed my attitudes when I stopped being a splash it all over gardener!

Dax

janreb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:43:15 »
many thanks for that - some are worried that we won't be able to take the land because of the water situation so it's nice to know others can manage.
Jane

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 16:51:50 »
A lot ofus do! No water laid on at our site, so it's butts or nothing!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 15:09:11 »
We have the same problem on our allotments regarding water supply two taps between twentyfive allotments and a trickle comes out when both taps are on, fortunately for me I'm moving to a new allotment next year just about the same distance from my house, I did not know these ten allotments existed  they are a well kept secret totally secure and out of the way, ;)   

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 15:22:55 »
we lease from the council and  we don't have a water supply at our lotti. there are about 25 lottis on our site. we collect all our water from the roof of our shed into 4/5 water butts and if that drys up then bring water from home in what ever we can find . but we all seem to manage fine

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 18:50:23 »
It must be a struggle bringing water from home makes me appreciate my trickle, :)

SilverApple

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:56:47 »
On a water meter at home and no gutters at all on my property(!!), so for watering the garden, I use rainwater; grey water and am cheeky enough to ask those friends, boss etc not on a meter if I can fill a container from their tap :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal