Author Topic: Jam not setting  (Read 14478 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Jam not setting
« on: July 02, 2009, 22:40:20 »
I made 5 jars of strawberry jam as per a recipe  the pectin sugar packet.  The jars are on top of the fridge.  We opened a jar today and it appears not quite set, though it does taste good.

1.  Why hasn't it set properly?
2.  Does this mean it will not store very long?

Advice please.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Jam not setting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 23:44:01 »
Kt,
Have you ever thought that the temperature could have a part to pay in this?
I would store them in the fridge for a while to see if they set then. If not then you can always use them as sauces in other recipes and bottle up some more if there are any left.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:37:56 »
The problem with the recipes that use commercial pectin products is that they often take no account of the water or sugar content of the fruit, or of the amount of heat you are putting into the pan, because they tend to say things like, "boil for 4 minutes". Be aware that bubbles can start to rise in the jam before it gets anywhere near to 100 degrees C, so you think its boiling when it's not if you don't have a thermometer. They also use more sugar than conventional jam recipes, and this can cause the jam to become too hot too quickly.

You can try to re-cook it. Put the jam into a pan with around 100 ml of redcurrant or lemon juice, and stirring, bring it to the boil. If you have a jam thermometer, you want to reach 105 degrees C, but you may reach this too quickly because of the amount of sugar in the mix. So, once this jam is boiling, reduce the heat slightly to maintain the amount of heat going in rather than make the jam hotter. 
Stir slowly and continuously. The object will be to reduce the water content of your runny jam, and at the same time get it to the right temperature.
From time to time, reduce the heat right down and stir, you will see the steam being driven off.
Hopefully, after about 10 minutes of this, signs of setting willl be evident.
You will see and feel (as you stir) the jam thicken and the bubbles change to give a more plopping sort of a sound. The jam will form more of a sheet than a drip when you drip some from a cool ladle. and it will have a jagged edge when it separates. The final drip/sheet will hang from the ladle. Have a plate already chilled in the fridge. drip some jam from your lade onto a teaspoon, then put this on the plate and pop it back in the fridge for 5 minutes. Take your jam off the heat when you are waiting. this blob of jam will wrinkle if you push it. if you draw your finger through it on the plate, you will see that the line you formed stays intact.
These signs of setting are hard to visualise until you've experienced them, but give it a go, and best of luck!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 22:00:10 »
The advice about the red currants or lemon juice  is right.

There is a short cut to getting a set which is to use geletine, or even strawberry jelly. It wont keep long though.

Sadly it is a well known fact that strawberries are difficult to get to set as jam and this is why people do add something else. Redcurrants or gooseberries mixed in seem to be favourite. after lemon juice but of course it is not pure strawberry jam if you do that.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 23:23:43 »
Haven't been online for a while so didn't see PurpleHeathers reply.
Just to comment that since gelatine is derived from meat, the jam wouldn't be suitable for vegetarians.
I personally would never use any addition like that - the main reason being that legally "jam" can contain only certain permitted ingredients and gelatine products are not on the list, so selling jam with gelatine in it would be illegal.
I suppose if its for home use you can put what you like in it - but doesn't that really defeat the object - surely if we are preserving fruit that we have taken the care to grow for our own family to eat, we want to achieve taste and purity?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:30:21 »
For those who are offended by the use of boiled pig's trotters or cow heel to form a jelly substance.

Commercial alternatives are:-

Agar-agar
guar gum
Xanthan gum
kudzu
arrowroot.

And you can collect the pips from lots of oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit. Boil them up gently, in water remove the pips.

Jams for diabetic use can be home made with gently cooked fruit and any of these thickeners and sweetened to taste as they cool with which ever artificial sweetener the diabetic prefers. Only make small, very small quantities though they do not keep for very long.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 13:19:52 »
I add lemon juice.  I make mine in the M/W as per the other post on strawberry jam.  I have made blackcurrent jelly this way as well.  No problems. I am sorry I can't find the thread on it. Perhaps the boffins can help.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 21:49:02 »
Bottled apple pectin is very good for setting too, and also suitable for veggies.

But do read the label: ( last year we did not!!) its added after the jam has been boiled up and allowed to cool a little, not during the heating process
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal