Author Topic: Potato discards  (Read 3437 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Potato discards
« on: October 02, 2004, 13:16:55 »
I just wondered what people did with the discarded potato foliage and the green potatoes they dig up.

We are busy digging up this years potato plot and manuring the soil.  We have amassed quite a lot of green and old potatoes and foliage, which is being stored on some plastic sheeting in the corner of the lottie.  I am wondering which is the best way to dispose of them.  I have no intention  of putting them on the compost heap, could put them in a bag and put them in our home bin, but don't  want to do that either, too damp for a fire which might not take.  Anybody got any ideas?
live your days not count your years

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Re:Potato discards
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 14:38:08 »
Oh, Busy Lizzie, you've reminded me to make another phone call.  I didn't want to compost mine so put them in my green bin for collection yesterday - we have a fortnightly garden waste collection.  By the time I'd squashed in all the haulms the bin was quite heavy to move (PFAs do produce a lot of greenery).  Clearly the collection people thought so too because they didn't empty it.  When I phoned yesterday I was accused of putting soil in the bin (not allowed) but I said no it's just plants and they said they'd collect today.  It's still there, full.  

Sorry I've no useful suggestions for you, but thanks for the reminder :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 14:39:00 by Jill »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 15:38:41 »
Onto the compost. = Tim

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 17:31:47 »
We never put them in our own compost but we are only 5 mins drive from the council recycling area where we  put them in for bulk composting - same with the worst weeds, twigs etc.  Very lucky we are. ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 18:58:13 »
Why can't you compost potatoe stuff ?

I understand if it "blighted" but why not if it is healthy ? ???

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 19:11:59 »
"You can" = Tim

PS I always do.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 20:35:08 »
Know what you mean, Tim, but it's jsut something we have never done - and we have rarely had blight so can't give that as a reason. Just something we were both brought up to believe by our fathers who were both keen veggie growers way way back in time!!

Our usual reason - if it's not broke .... ....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 11:39:38 »
Indeed! And great if one has an option. = Tim

PS They do say that blighted foliage is OK.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 11:52:39 »
Foliage goes on the compost, rough spuds go in a sack and I'm afraid, into my wheelie bin for the kind dustmen to take.  I have slung spuds on in the past, and they grow a treat in the compost heap producing huge slug free spuds!  Maybe I will plant some on purpose there next year, just as a trial!

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 14:10:30 »
I have done this for potatoes at xmas with very good results EJ.So dont see why it shouldn't work at any time.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 14:13:03 »
Thanks all for your comments.  I have been avoiding the compost heap because I thought it would incubate all sorts of nasty diseases and infections etc. when we spread again on our plot in the form of compost in the Spring.  Thought you had to be extra careful with potatoes as they could be particularly dodgy.   I have been tempted to dump in our wheelie bin, but I have felt a conscience about them being dumped and affecting other ground in a land fill etc., (perhaps a bit over the top when I consider what else it probably dumped in those things).  I haven't got any evidence to suppose I have any real disease, but just greeness, so perhaps I am being a bit over cautious.

We did our Committee Meeting Site inspection today and I saw some fabulous squashes being grown on a compost heap and I know of one plot holder who uses one of his composts sites as a nursery for some of his veggies.  :) busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 11:37:23 »
I recall hearing/reading something about squishing the potato tubers before bunging 'em on the compost - i suppose the potato then wouldn't chit, etc...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 13:11:46 »
And then you wouldn't get all those lovely free potatoes?? = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 21:39:32 »
I have had potato peel grow, so I don't think squishing them would make much difference!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal