Author Topic: Potato leaves with little white spots - PLEASE HELP  (Read 9880 times)

apike36

Potato leaves with little white spots - PLEASE HELP
« on: June 29, 2009, 19:00:14 »
Hi all.

I have just joined the site as this year I am attempting to grow my own potatoes for the first time. I am growing them in containers as I do not have either an allotment or a garden.

The plants are growing well and look healthy except for some leaves have small faint light green/white-ish marks on them, like a series of little spots. I do not think this is potato blight as the underside of the leaves look fine. It also does not seem to be spreading. On one or two of the leaves, where these spots have been, the part of the leaf that had the spots has died and left a small hole in the leaf.

Do I have anything to worry about? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.

Tony

flossy

• Hectare
Re: Potato leaves with little white spots - PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 19:08:21 »

Hi apike,   not too clued up on potatoes  --so far have only grown them in the ground,

- next year will be ready for a new experience,      ::)

Sure some one will be able to clear this prob up for you, I will ' look and learn '   ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 19:49:52 »
Hiya, apike, welcome to a4a  ;D
sorry, can't help with the spud question, ours have had all sorts of wierd and wonderful markings on, hasn't affected the crop  ;D

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 22:25:49 »
As far as I am aware there is no knownb potato disease which results in the tiny white spots on the foliage.  However, as these plants are container grown I suspect that the cause of the white spots  is simply sun scorch caused by overhead watering or sprinkling of the foliage. This would also account for the small dead spots (necrosis) resulting.   In any event they won`t do any harm

apike36

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 17:55:12 »
Thanks Kepouros. I was sure it wouldn't be anythiong serious but thought it would just be best checking!!!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 23:17:20 »
I had this same problem  on my potatoes in pots, I've never had it before and it didn't occur on my plants in the soil. The crop was as good as usual though, I did wonder if it was a flea beetle attack? Some leaves on my courgettes were similarly affected, but again the crop is proving excellent. So probably don't worry!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal