Author Topic: Lasagna method of soil improver/mulch  (Read 1871 times)

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
Lasagna method of soil improver/mulch
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:58:48 »
First the background story.
Having got the house sorted we are now trying to tackle the land,  about 2.5 acres of 8ft high brambles, broom, tree saplings and nettles.  So far we have cleared some space for a veggie patch and discovered apple, plum and peach trees and some raspberries. 
As we are clearing so the annual seeds, that haven't seen the light of day for years, are springing up.  We are not going to do anything with the ground until next spring.

Now the main point.
We have access to unlimited quantities of, sawdust, chicken poo, horse poo, bales of hay and cardboard.   Can we use all of this to make a lasagna, if so what order would it be best to layer it?

Ishard

• Hectare
Re: Lasagna method of soil improver/mulch
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:39:46 »
Can you get straw instead of hay? Hay has a lot of grass seeds in it so its not ideal for lasagne beds.

If straw I would layer like this;
cardboard
horse muck
sawdust
chicken poo
straw

If using hay;
cardboard
hay
horse muck
sawdust
chicken poo

Ive placed the layers generally in 'hot' and 'cold and given 1 season these should intermingle and rot down so next spring you can plant them up. Remember to water each layer very well as you add it.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:46:46 by Ishard »

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 15:50:34 »
Maybe if you gave us a photo it would help, but it reads as though you have a major project going. Is there a mechanical digger you can borrow?

If so, I wouldn't layer all that stuff, I'd mix it up together with as much fresh green stuff as you can put in. Turn it regularly to get air in, and keep adding green stuff.

I am not sure about the sawdust. It is not good in compost making. It consumes nitrogen you want for your vegetables.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:34:16 »
I use this method of gardening on one of my allotments, totally no-dig stylie!!
cut down all weeds, remove brambles, dock and thistles. layer of WET cardboard (put cardboard into water, not water into cardboard), then a layer of manure, topped off with a layer of straw. give the whole thing a good soaking (this softens the starch in the straw which binds it all together). leave for 6 months or overwinter, then just plant in it !! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:05:08 »
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Ishard, Unfortunately the Limousin doesn't seem to be a big cereal growing area and straw is, to my mind, quite expensive at about €3 for a small bale.

Bjerreby,  We have our own digger which we bought for the building work but has been really useful in digging up the major roots and rocks we have come across (I will try to get some photo's posted).  The majority of the green stuff we have at the moment is bramble which we are putting onto a bonfire heap as I don't fancy all those thorns in the compost heap, (a friend has been very ill with blood poisoning from a bramble thorn).

Tonybloke, that is exactly what we would like to achieve. After this major clearance the thought of no more digging in this area is absolute bliss  ;D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:48:24 »
a friend has been very ill with blood poisoning from a bramble thorn

Sorry to interupt your thread but I am very interested in this.  I was stratched by a bramble and ended up in hospital with cellulitis.

I like you lasange plan, cannot you bury some of those things and plant beans on top, get a crop now.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 15:51:15 »
i made a lasagna bed, much simplified version too, last year for my courgettes because I was lazy basically, I put down cardboard, grass clippings, stable waste and just put some actual soil around the plant roots. Soaked it all thoroughly. I grew 6 courgettes in that, hardly any weeds, I planted IMMEDIATELY, and they were a great success. By this spring the whole lot had disappeared! But I am now growing beans in the same area and this year they are thriving, so it obviously keep nutrients in the soil for a while.
If you make a few spaces with soil or potting mix for the actual plants or seeds (like for beans for example), you can put it down and plant or sow the same day. It's dead quick too, the whole thing plus planting the courgettes took me about 40 minutes!!!!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal