Author Topic: Radishes  (Read 2459 times)

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
Radishes
« on: June 29, 2009, 16:01:00 »
What the heck am I doing wrong.  I have tried to grow radishes for the last three years - first lot were like knotted threads! - next time I bought seedlings but they seemed to stop growing once they were in the trough - again nothing to harvest.  This year they have all bolted - and nothing at the root.  Any ideas?

Meg

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: Radishes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 16:05:44 »
Mines Done well eatting for Tea !!  ???
i don't belive death is the end

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 16:09:08 »
now's a bit late for radishes. They bolt or don't fatten up in the heat of the summer. Try sowing some from August onwards into the autumn

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 16:24:38 »
What variety are you trying?

I find long varieties work much better like Flamboyant Sabina and Mirabeau.  The latter particularly for later sowings.  I gave up on the round ones.

Also plant little and often so if you lose a sowing you wont have to wait too long for the next.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 16:39:18 »
Well Rhubarb Thrasher I never knew that :oI usually sow every week or so I just assumed the failures were down to my sowing method....rootle about scatter some seed, rootle about some more :)  all these years so much seed  :'(
sanity is overated

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 16:50:21 »
I have been looking for clues and I think this might be one;

they were in the trough

My guess is the pH is wrong and the soil is possibly too rich!

Radish are of the brassica family and should be treated in a similar manner.

Variety can sometimes play its part I have grown many types/varieties and yes I have sometimes had the same problems you mentioned.

Found a good variety this year, picked some today and they were perfect possibly the best I have ever grown.......the variety is 'Rainbow' and as the names suggest they come in various colours so they are going to look lovely on my plate this evening!

Another favourite of mine is 'Mooli' now thats one that does get big, keeps a long time before going woody!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Radish/Radish.htm

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 17:18:50 »
I love this forum - it's like having my dad and my grandpa back  :)

TeeGee - I have been using my own compost - so obviously the mixture is way to rich - I was trying to grow French Breakfast this year - and they have all bolted.  I will try some of the seeds you mentioned next year - I am going to give up on the radishes and focus on lettuce cut and come again - better for my moral!!!!!

Meg

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 17:19:56 »
now's a bit late for radishes. They bolt or don't fatten up in the heat of the summer. Try sowing some from August onwards into the autumn

Think I've given up for this year, but will remember for next.  Thanks for the advice.

Meg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 18:02:06 »
don't give up yet. If the autumn is good theyr'e the best of the year - big and juicy and mild

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 18:16:39 »
Radish French Breakfast are rather tasty!

[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 18:27:28 »
we use potting compost in a container  :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 18:52:53 »
TeeGee - Mooli are lovely aren't they?  Grew for the first time last year and they stood in the ground for ages. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 19:19:52 »
I grow them in mainly potting compost.

French Breakfast are very tasty and I have found them reliable.I love the way they pop up out the ground.Click pic to enlarge.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 23:01:30 »
I could never grow radishes in the ground.  I now grow them in 5" pots, about 10 per pot,  or 6-7 in a margarine tub.  They have been harvested ever since.  French Breakfast seem to do the best.  I do not bother with any others now as they are so reliable.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 18:54:07 »
I could never grow radishes in the ground.  I now grow them in 5" pots, about 10 per pot,  or 6-7 in a margarine tub.  They have been harvested ever since.  French Breakfast seem to do the best.  I do not bother with any others now as they are so reliable.

Oh dear - so it must be something I am doing wrong.  I use a trough - 6" wide  x 24" long x 4" deep - planting in two lines, and thinning out after they show.  Water when needed but at least once every two days, and they are in a sunny position.  I would give up - but I really love them. 

Meg

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 19:26:23 »
Oh dear - so it must be something I am doing wrong.  I use a trough - 6" wide  x 24" long x 4" deep - planting in two lines, and thinning out after they show.  Water when needed but at least once every two days, and they are in a sunny position.  I would give up - but I really love them. 

Meg

Mine are in a troughs of a similar size; my watering regime is the only difference - I practically drown the poor things every morning. At the moment it's taking 18-24 days to get a crop (depending on variety) in not-so-sunny Edinburgh.

Stick with it. :D

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 05:32:42 »
I take it you are refering to annual radishes. I don't have experience with those white or yellow biennials with German names and the size of a tennis balls, but this year has been great for French Breakfast.

One essential thing................keep them well watered. They mustn't dry out.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 15:19:29 »
Well I have tried so many times and have never managed to grow one properly. Either they are too pungent and inedible, woody or they fail to grow a root. So I have decided to abandon. Why everyone says that radishes are childs' play is baffling to me! They are a pain in the neck!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 19:32:33 »
Why everyone says that radishes are childs' play is baffling to me! They are a pain in the neck!

Me too - but I will keep trying - still very warm just now (even in Ayrshire) so will wait til the end of August.

Meg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal