Author Topic: petrol strimmer advice  (Read 1222 times)

staris

• Acre
petrol strimmer advice
« on: June 25, 2009, 23:50:04 »
i've been wondering whether to buy a petrol strimmer for the allotment, i've got a couple of small grassed areas the biggest is around 10'x6' would a strimmer with a nylon line cut the grass fairly short and still look decent, i thought about a small lawn mower but there are some tight spots that i wouldn't be able to get into so i would still need something else to finish it off  :)

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
Re: petrol strimmer advice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 23:52:44 »
I cant se any reason why not, I have a petrol strimmer and they are very good, a bit vicious at time and it can be difficult to get the lawn look but if its just a case of keeping them tidy rather than creating a bowling green you should be fine.

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

staris

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 00:00:26 »
yeah i'm not interested in having a bowling green but one of the areas is somewhere to sit in the summer so as long as it lokks tidy i'm not fussed.

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:59:32 »
It just takes some practice, you'll soon get the hang of it, but be careful to check for slugs, they're not nice splattered across your face!!!

Wear some safety glasses. ;)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:27 »
It maybe an investment but how many times are you going to use it.
You may wnat to hire one for a weekend then return without the fuss.
Cheaper in the long run.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 21:07:28 »
I see loads of people on our site struggling with strimmers which have cord-pull starters. Was thinking of buying one a few months back and was advised to go for the electric start ones, as they are a lot less hassle. B&Q recommended a Ryobi one with changeable heads, I think it was about £140.

It doesnt make sense to pay £30ish a day to hire one if its only a small patch of grass you want to cut once a week. You might get away with a cordless grass trimmer that are about £50, have heard some of them only last 15 mins, but you'd probably have the job done before that. And if you buy one and its cr@p just take it back for a  refund..  probably easier than bringing something back that stinks of petrol!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal