Author Topic: Sloes and Blackthorn  (Read 6310 times)

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
Sloes and Blackthorn
« on: October 01, 2004, 17:38:37 »
Now that I recognise these (ahem), I would like to grow some more.   If I sow sloe berries in pots, will they grow?   I don't mind hugely if it takes a few years to get decent sized plants.  Alternatively would I do best to try cuttings and if so, when?

Many thanks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Sloes and Blackthorn
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 17:46:24 »
Googled and found this:

The Blackthorn grows long spreading roots, which send up shoots, known also as suckers, which will quickly grow into healthy young trees. The easiest way to propagate the Blackthorn therefore, is to dig up some of these baby trees, including a bit of the root and plant these out where you want the tree to grow.
Alternatively, the sloe can be harvested and seeded. Plant straight after picking and cover with about 1 cm of soil.

The site was: http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/TreeGallery/blackthorn_c.htm

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 17:50:31 »
That's very kind, thank you. ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 20:01:39 »
didn`t know what blackthorn looked like,mate just said I had passed millions of them many a time so may go picking, am I too late or are they best after first frost???

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 21:22:14 »
You are not too late, it is said that they improve when the fruits have been exposed to frost.  The taste becomes less astringent (but probably still quite!)

Hope this is not telling you the obvious, but be aware they are very sharp tasting and used for steeping in gin, say, or using with lots of sugar for jam.   I can vouch for the sharp taste as I picked 2 earlier to get the seeds out and boy are they bitter!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 19:01:40 »
Can anyone post a good close up photo of a sloe but quickly please!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 19:24:04 »
Andy, this picture might help. Otherwise I can go out with my camera tomorrow and take a picture. I've got two bottles on the go at the moment, they've already gone a lovely berry red colour. If you can't wait until the first frost (in our area there'd be none left by then) you can put them in the freezer for a short time, this helps them split in the gin to release the flavour.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 19:25:50 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 19:58:30 »
many thanks,I may go for a wander tomorrow. Is the sloe gin easy to make? only normally make things as complicated as a cup of coffee or a scotch and coke!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 20:11:54 »
Here's where the recipe is, just about as easy as a cup of coffee  :)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=287
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 11:47:35 »
Make sloe gin, damson gin, greengage gin, plum gin!  YUMSKY!  But be warned, delish and strong and sooooo more-ish!  Couldn't be easier.  

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 18:02:42 »
 ;DDone it! picked some blue/black berry things in the hope they are sloes and bunged in bottle added sugar and gin. Now I have to wait and wait and wait..... >:(
Doesn`t time go sloe........ :-\

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 18:15:48 »
how many almonds do i put in

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 18:56:59 »
too late! shoved about 10 in and picked more sloes tonight.someone else has been at them! Made 4 litres of the stuff........ ;) ::) :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal