Author Topic: Three cheers  (Read 1542 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Three cheers
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:32:42 »
So pleased that people on our site are friendly after reading all the horror stories on here lately. Just wanted to say three cheers to our site sec. who organises Council compost, wood chip etc. etc. and does a lot of work to make the allotment site a better place.  Three cheers to Enfield Council who are putting up new fences all round the site (sorry Kev if the rent increases) and more water tanks and have been cutting (polling, I think it is called, correct me if wrong) the overgrown trees to give some allotments more light.  Only hoping that they are going to cut the one behind my site which is cutting out a lot of light. The only complaint I have (and that is a selfish one) is that now the site is so popular some of my secret wild life spots, full of blackberries and other surprise delights (one hidden plum tree) the site is much more busy and I cannot go scrumping as I don't believe we have any neglected untaken sites (well only a few). I also miss Margaret on the double site next to me which has been split into three, but have made one new friend and his dog.  The other two sites not sure if they are taken, one has a lovely cooking apple tree on it so will have to check with site sec.  Bloke dug up all his rhubard and then disappeared, stinging nettles growing well.  We have six ladies (who are doing courses at Capel Manor) who have taken over Manuel's plot, they are doing well and made fence and bean support out of willow branches. A lot has changed in the 7/8 years since I got my allotment as it has become very popular.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Three cheers
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:18 »
Gosh, I'm feeling a bit faint, praise for an allotment committee? I must be more ill that I realised.....I'm hallucinating now..... ;D

Makes a pleasant change though!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:27 »
Hoorah Hoorah Horrah!
Well said Borlotti! Ive just this morning said on another thread how all we hear on here is moans about committees,so good for you!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:41 »
Borlotti, that's so nice to have praise instead of complaints! 

I am the secretary on our site and I don't know whether it's because people are scared of me  ;) but I don't get many people moaning about the site.  Well, apart from a couple of Old Blokes who want to get back to the Good Old Days when women knew their place (the kitchen) and raised beds hadn't been invented.

I think Birmingham Council's Allotment dept. does an excellent job under very difficult circumstances.  I would hate to be in charge of the finances, we'd be bankrupt in a couple of months.

As for the other thread which elvis mentions, I think some people join the forum with the intention of stirring up trouble. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 21:48:08 »
As Borlotti says new fences are going up with new gates this month
Our Fir trees are going to be tamed I am told
But all at a cost, the new prices for 2012 are up on the board but I can't remember what they were  :-\
We  have no committee as such on site
The site sec works for the council and gets his plot for nothing, shows new people around and reports overgrown plots straight to the council, there's no voting him  in or out every year, it's his job and he's welcome to it
When we voted on our committee last year it was just to get the shop open which we've more or less sorted
We will try other projects once the shop is up and running
But I don't think committee's should get involved in plot inspections, some, not all get a bit power crazy and it turns into a us and them situation
We get the bitching and what not, but I seem to get on with everone and always seem to be in the middle a bit, but hey ho.
How is Manuel anyway do you keep in touch with him Borlotti and does that lady still keep Chickens.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 22:58:33 »
Manuel has gone to work in Coventry and I don't keep in touch although I sometimes see his OH but she never liked the allotment.  Yes the chickens are still there.  I haven't heard anything yet about any increase in price for next year. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal