Author Topic: Artichoke question  (Read 981 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
Artichoke question
« on: June 28, 2009, 14:20:18 »
Hello, everyone

We have just moved (a couple of miles down the road) but out of the parish, and that means we will have to give up our lottie by the end of the year. On the plus side - we are renting a cottage with a garden twice the size of the lottie, and yes, it's got a fabulous view, surrounded by barley and oat fields.
We are allowed to turn the whole garden into a veg and fruit patch, and I'm busy digging it and have already had a bumper crop of stones - enough to rebuild Stonehenge.

Now the question: last year I planted Globe Artichokes (and cardoons) at the lottie. The 'chokes are doing well now and will have a nice harvest. However, as they were my second attempt (failed miserably the year before) and I believe they are perannual I'd like to take some of them over to the new garden. Is it possible to transplant the established plants? And what is a good time for this (well, got to be done before the year ends)

Any advice would be very welcome.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Artichoke question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 15:02:39 »
Both are as tough as old boots-just leave them until you are ready to move and then chop up a few roots.

Give them a couple of years to establish again and that`s it

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 20:17:34 »
In other words, dig up the whole gigantic root, slice off a strong looking shoot with plenty of root attached, and plant that. I got rid of an old row recently and found the roots were incredibly large with plenty of shoots.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 17:55:11 »
In other words, dig up the whole gigantic root, slice off a strong looking shoot with plenty of root attached, and plant that.

Yes ;D

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 20:59:59 »
Thanks for your advice, cleo and artichoke  :)!
I had a few problems getting the plants established, thanks to my partner, who first forgot to plant the seedlings and then forgot where he had planted them. When they made an appearance earlier this year I was so chuffed I got quite attached to them, so I would love to bring them over here in the late autumn.
By the way, the cardoons sowed and presumably planted out at the same time (the young plants looked identical to artichokes) seem to have perished in the frost, so I'm starting over with them. Fingers crossed! And thanks again!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal