Author Topic: Cooking potatoes in the microwave?  (Read 2019 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Cooking potatoes in the microwave?
« on: June 22, 2009, 20:17:33 »
I'm about to dig up some Maris Peer spuds........and my cooker has decided to stop working!

I won't be able to get a new cooker for a couple of weeks (don't ask!).

Is it possible to boil potatoes in the microwave? I'm thinking about peeling them, cutting in half (or less) and putting them in a bowl of salted water.

Is that ok?

I know some may say- 'wait until you get a cooker', but......I'm curious!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Cooking potatoes in the microwave?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 20:32:47 »
there's a thread going on about this somewhere   :)
found it  ;D
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,52797.0.html

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 20:35:34 »
Thanks!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:25:15 »
Sorry about the cooker. Most of the supermarkets have steamers on sale for under £20. I have seen them for as little as £9.99.

Just thought I would suggest it, they are very useful to some but others might find they use them once and then forget they have them. Like other gadgets.

The stacker ones can do all the veg, even a complete meal if you steam the meat like chicken breast or fish wrapped in foil with seasoning of your choice.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:03:28 »
I Microwave potatoes all the time but I do it whole.  Use Desiree so no idea about Maris Piper.

Argos do a nice cheap steamer.  I like them round so you can warm the plates on them.  My daughter introduced me to steaming - love it.    Can cook several veg at the same time.  The thing switches itself off when veg done.  It takes a couple of times to get the timing right, but now I have a big mark on the dial and thats more of less it.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:01:49 »
Many years ago when m/w first came out I knew someone who m/w potatoes in water using hot water out of the kettle.   My husband and I thought they had a weird taste and disliked them.  As we were staying with them it was difficult to say anything but we never forgot how they tasted and we felt we had to eat them.  Those were the days when we were not so casual about what we said.   I also think spuds "baked" in a m/w are not as good as those in a conventional oven.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:36:00 »
Many years ago when m/w first came out I knew someone who m/w potatoes in water using hot water out of the kettle.   My husband and I thought they had a weird taste and disliked them.  As we were staying with them it was difficult to say anything but we never forgot how they tasted and we felt we had to eat them.  Those were the days when we were not so casual about what we said.   I also think spuds "baked" in a m/w are not as good as those in a conventional oven.

You are quite right potatoes do not taste the same jacketed in a microwave as they do from the oven but if you are just making a snack for one person a 6 minute spud with grated cheese in it, is much quicker.

Microwaves work fine for sweet corn and carrots, in fact I think they taste better. 

Just shows it is worth experimenting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal