Author Topic: just seen...  (Read 2042 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
just seen...
« on: June 27, 2009, 23:22:30 »
my first fox, in my brothers garden at my nephews 9th birthday party ;D soooo thrilled / shades x
grow your own way

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: just seen...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:14:58 »
Good for you, I think that they're lovely creatures.
I regularly see foxes on the allotments where there is a family of them.  One of my plot neighbours has even had them feeding out of her hand!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:34:30 »
Same here Flighty...  :)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 14:09:31 »
Well I wish the Danish hunting community thought like you lot do, but I am afraid they put me off completely.

A man just down the road bought a terrier pup last winter, and every time I see him, he explains gleefully how he intends to train the dog to go down fox holes.

Well last evening he came by and started with great enthusiasm spouting off  about how well this training was going, and in the end (I kept very silent and looked very disapprovingly at him) he explained that it was foxes' fault that the local deer population had declined in recent years, and it is the duty of hunting enthusiasts to interfere in this, and eradicate the foxes, of which, he felt, there are far too many.

I responded that the deer population had been exposed to a certain virus, and in any case, the deer population was unnaturally large due to the local estate's hunting interests. Elsewhere, there are nowhere near so many deer when left to their own purposes.............nor pheasants come to think of it, which they rear in flocks and put out on the morning of the hunt.

He didn't care for my viewpoint, he said, to which I replied I couldn't care less, and that the majority of MY countrymen are against killing animals for fun, which is what hunting is.

Rant over.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 17:09:17 »
Saw a big fox while out walking near theriver in York today. Think it wasthe first time I'd seen one alive! A lovely sight!

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 19:47:01 »
Saw a big fox while out walking near theriver in York today. Think it wasthe first time I'd seen one alive! A lovely sight!

Not so far away Caroline.......... take a lovely walk from  Little Hilla (943901, Hackness, NW of Scarborough) up Troutsdale to the West, and to Troutsdale Mill, then double back along Troutsdale Brow to where you started from. It is a beautiful spot........................and let me know if you see dignitary on horses pretending to exercise their dogs, what they have in scores.

Troutsdale is where I saw the most beautiful fox ever. Big, fast, sleek, vigorous, haughty, and with a fantastic white tipped bushy tail. :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 15:58:20 »
I live in a built-up area (blocks of flats) but we are lucky in being surrounded by several wild areas of scrub and a big park. My son's high school had an extraordinary visitor the other day  - a fox! that streaked through the playground at lunchtime, out through the fence and off through the bushes behind the blocks of flats! It obviously had lost its way at one point and found itself inside the school compound!
I am sure it has lots to eat, the little woods around the place are full of wild rabbits...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal