Author Topic: Scortching weather on the way YIPHEEEEEEEEEEEEE  (Read 13387 times)

small

• Hectare
Re: Scortching weather on the way YIPHEEEEEEEEEEEEE
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 15:40:58 »
I hate scorching hot weather - everything wilts, me included.  My greenhouse water butts are empty already, it's a 100 yard trudge to the garage butts, gloom gloom! >:(

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 15:44:31 »
Not keen either.  Too hot to be indoors, too hot to be outdoors.  We don't have mains water at the allotment.  All our water has to be hand pumped up from underground which is hard work in  the heat.

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 15:50:54 »
Oh dearrrrrrrrr

Come on guys we dont see enough of the sun really to not be happy when it is around.

Maybe its just me but I always feel life is so much better when the sun is shining, can sympathise with your water problem though must be a real pain in the ****.

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 15:59:16 »
Maybe you don't get enough sun in deepest Wales but there's no shortage here in London.  And 30c in London doesn't make me happy, I promise you! 

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 16:03:42 »

Come on guys we dont see enough of the sun really to not be happy when it is around.

Maybe its just me but I always feel life is so much better when the sun is shining, can sympathise with your water problem though must be a real pain in the ****.

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 16:06:19 »
Maybe you don't get enough sun in deepest Wales but there's no shortage here in London.  And 30c in London doesn't make me happy, I promise you! 

Oh we get plenty of it, Im surrounded by gorgeous beaches though so that makes a bit of a difference, the sun always feels stuffy and not as fresh in the city I remember I come from Manchester originally.

Ahh well its only here for a week anyhow (if it arrives at all lol) :)

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 16:07:13 »
Oops!

Your post made me so cross I pressed the post button too soon.

Had too much sun and high temps thanks......week after boring week of it. Big cracks in the hard as concrete soil.

I'm with Cere's......we want more rain!...and keep the temperature down.

I spent 15 mins yesterday evening just watching the rain fall.....my youngest son joined me...we watched how it made the colours richer and smelt the lovely cool moisture.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 16:21:39 »
I love the sun but just wish it didn't come with the high temperatures.   I am soooooooo designed to live in milder climes with my red hair & fair skin.   Even lathered in Factor 50 sun cream I can still burn in approx half hour.

I am learning to work around it though i.e.  get up 0530 & do a couple of hours of gardening.  Come 1000 hrs-ish when the temperature really starts to climb I head indoors & take a siesta.   Then once the temperature's cooled I'm out again, normally until I lose the light around 2130 hours.

However say that, I've just set up a small, solar-powered lighting circuit in the greenhouse so I can now see what I'm doing even after the sun's gone down.

H.

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 16:24:15 »
Love it Chrisbro, really love the hot weather.......and so do my melon plants. Yay!!!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 16:30:03 »
I hate it when its too hot! :'( I have no energy :'(and I become really irritable :'(
 Yes I know its good for the plants but

I like winter  ;D I love snow ;D I come alive during the winter months ;D I find it funny when people moan about winter ;D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 16:55:46 »
Duke Ellington I'm with you. That's me to a t. If we don't have any rain tonight we will have to go & water early tomorrow morning. Doesn't help as I've picked up a cold from one of the grandchildren, but I am barking instead of blowing ::).

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 17:38:49 »
Being more or less stuck in bed, I'm not looking forward to it. I loaded up on painkillers & got a lift to the allotment yesterday but couldn't even carry a watering can full of water... so fingers crossed for some good rain in the afternoons!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 17:47:03 »
 You shouldn't even be trying to carry watering cans. Naughty Boy.We had to leave the plot early today cos it started thundering and I'm a wimp when it comes to thunder.Ower Tone say's its the lightening you should be scared of not the bloomin thunder.  No rain with it mores the pity. The weeding was so easy today after yesterdays rain.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 21:45:49 »
I'm another one who doesn't like the heat. I lived in Spain for 11 years and was used to it then - but now my favourite temperature is around 22C.

Wouldn't it be lovely though to get  a few hours nice steady rain to give my poor veggies a good drink and to fill my seven water butts at the same time? My fish pond will have to be topped up with tap water if we don't get some rain soon - the water level went down almost 2 inches today due to evaporation  :'(.

Hey ho - we were promised a good summer so I guess we'll just have to be glad for the tourists spending their holidays in the UK instead of on Spanish beaches.

Tricia

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 21:49:14 »
Ignore the Forecasters.  You`re all forgetting one thing. IT`S WIMBLEDON FORTNIGHT!  Before next week is out the heavens will open, the wonderful new movable roof over Centre Court will get stuck, and they`ll STILL have to drag old Sir Cliff Richard out of his seat to keep everyone amused.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 22:32:33 »
Duke, I can't imagine you irritable, you are always smiling! ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 22:33:16 »
The sluicegates of heaven were opened over Birmingham yesterday and today. I haven't been to the plot (been really busy) but we've had a lot of rain.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 23:18:38 »
well we need rain desperately, but I've just started two weeks hols so I'm quite happy it's going to be hot 8) 8)/ shades x
grow your own way

N8R

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 00:03:12 »
rain please  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal