Author Topic: Trespassers on Plot  (Read 2545 times)

herring8

• Not So New ...
Trespassers on Plot
« on: June 24, 2009, 22:42:47 »
I got my allotment a few weeks ago - have strimmed down to ground level and been digging it over during the last 2-3 weeks.

Last couple of days I have noticed things have been moved about and someone has tidied an overgrown area?

I asked my next door neighbour if he had seen anyone during the day (as I pop down for an hour or so in the evenings) and he said two blokes introduced themselves as the new plot holders yesterday.  He thought I was sharing it!!  I've phoned the committee who confirm I am the plot holder and they would look into it.

I know I got my allotment because the previous holder was evicted because he did nothing, I don't know what to do if I come across this person (assuming it's them).  Do I assume it's an honest misunderstanding, I feel very territorial towards my allotment and I'm afraid I'll lose it with them - any advice welcome.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Trespassers on Plot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 22:56:34 »
You are afraid that you will lose it knowing none of the facts apart from the fact that you are the rightful tenant.  What should you do?  First step - anger management classes!  Then find out why these people think it is theirs.  My assumption is that they, like you, have recently got a plot and have seen a recently strimmed one and made a wrong assumption.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 23:00:53 »
I'd make sure some from the committee was there before doing any more work just so you can sort out the misunderstanding.

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 23:04:08 »
You are afraid that you will lose it knowing none of the facts apart from the fact that you are the rightful tenant.  What should you do?  First step - anger management classes!  Then find out why these people think it is theirs.  My assumption is that they, like you, have recently got a plot and have seen a recently strimmed one and made a wrong assumption.

I'm not proud of my territorial feelings, that is why I am worried what will happen if I face these people, I don't want conflict.  I left a note pinned to the shed addressed "To Whom it May Concern" explaining that I thought this was an honest mistake but it was my plot and please contact a committee member.

I have spent so many hours digging this plot over I can't believe someone can come in and try and take it over - I hope I'm worried over nothing.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 23:13:38 »
I think I may have a bit of a panic in this situation.

It is just a mistake I should imagine. ;D

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:27:00 »
Some scallywags working on a (supposedly) supervised community service plot swapped a lot of the plot numbers around on our site. This resulted in a fair few new tenants digging and clearing the wrong plots. Took a while to sort this out.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:53 »
If there's a site secretary, phone them. It may be a simple misunderstanding.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 15:55:25 »
It's very distressing when this happens and it does happen quite frequently. i know of several cases on our site over the last few years.

Everyone gets very territorial over their allotments...especially once you've put work into it. Unfortunately councils/town councils don't get that point very well......every hour is precious, time is valuble so wasting it by clearing and digging then it going to waste for some reason is very upsetting.

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 17:51:41 »
I can imagine this being really frustrating, and I can understand the way you feel about the whole thing but it ius worth reminding yourself that maybe the other person is feeling exactly the same way, until you get to the bottom of it you dont know exactly what has happened.

Keep your cool you will only regret it in the long run if you dont.

Good luck I hope you manage to get it all sorted out soon :)

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 18:15:35 »
As Chris says maybe the other person is feeling the same, If the commitee confirm it is yours there should be no need to worry yourself, you'll probably be laughing about it this time next week.      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 18:18:59 »
I'd keep quiet till they've cleared the rest for you  ;D

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 18:22:39 »
I'd keep quiet till they've cleared the rest for you  ;D

Ha ha ha ha that sound like a cruel but cunning plan to me lol   ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 18:45:27 »
If it is Council plot, they gave me a plot, I planted some things, then they said I couldn't have it, and had to look at a map and look at the plan of the vacant sites and they said I could have the one (that I couldn't have before).  Confused of Enfield.  They gave me half a plot (I think) but the Council bill said a whole plot and I paid the money.  Then they said I couldn't have the end bit, then I could, so I got more confused, but after six years I think they have agreed that it is my plot, so there.  I did apply for a job at the Council allotment site but they said I was too old, but think things have got a lot better now as more people want plots and 5/6 years ago no-one really cared.

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 20:26:03 »
As Chris says maybe the other person is feeling the same, If the commitee confirm it is yours there should be no need to worry yourself, you'll probably be laughing about it this time next week.      ;D ;D ;D

Spoke to the secretary who is very new in post, she doesn't know the history, however she confirmed I am the tenant on their database.  She told me the treasurer knows the full history of the eviction of the previous tenants, she's given me his name and mobile no so I'm going to stick a sign up with his name/no explaining things and telling anyone who wants to discuss it to ring him.  Bit of a mess but the sec is certain it's mine  :)

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 22:00:15 »

Spoke to the secretary who is very new in post, she doesn't know the history, however she confirmed I am the tenant on their database.  She told me the treasurer knows the full history of the eviction of the previous tenants, she's given me his name and mobile no so I'm going to stick a sign up with his name/no explaining things and telling anyone who wants to discuss it to ring him.  Bit of a mess but the sec is certain it's mine  :)

Well good new then, just grin and bear it for the moment Im sure it will all work itself out :)

amphibian

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 00:06:24 »
On my old site there was a mix up over plot numbers, part of my plot was sprayed with round-up by a lady that thought my plot was hers. I was growing organically and she killed my fruit plants. I was far from happy. Any issues like this need sorting out quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal