Author Topic: Mixed up my Ags! Agapanthus, how much water  (Read 2030 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Mixed up my Ags! Agapanthus, how much water
« on: June 26, 2009, 19:50:44 »
I mixed up my Ags, I meants Agapanthus, not Ageratum!  How much water do these plants need. They flowered like mad last year but could not but help get loads of water - we are in Cornwall which nearly floated away last year.  However, it is now very hot - they ae in pots, and one is about to flower.  So let's try again Agapanthus - do they need loads of water?

(Missing a few marbles) Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Mixed up my Ags! Agapanthus, how much water
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 19:55:09 »
My Agapanthus thrive on neglect and I find they are best kept pot bound to flower.

I water when I remember so I suppose the answer is ..........not much!! but don't let them dry out completely!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 20:14:45 »
I keep them in free draining compost and water with the rest of the patio...  :-\

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 21:09:38 »
I think they originally come from South Africa, and as Tee Gee says they thrive on neglect and being pot bound. This year though I fed mine when I was feeding my clematis (also in pots) and they are repaying me with more flower stems than I've ever had. Definitely worth doing - tomato food once a month or so from about April.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 22:39:55 »
 :) last year really looked after them  no flowers, this year as posted before neglected them,pot bound ,need a good water, but have loads of flowers on them !! / shades x
grow your own way

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 23:55:19 »
I have them in the ground in very poor free-draining soil and they never get watered.  In very hot weather like this they flop right down almost flat to the ground but it doesn't seem to do them any harm and they flower away year after year.

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:35:11 »
My Agapanthus thrive on neglect and I find they are best kept pot bound to flower.

I water when I remember so I suppose the answer is ..........not much!! but don't let them dry out completely!

Thanks for that bit of info TeeGee - feel better now  - I repotted my agapanthus in spring and have only got two flowers instead of 10 like last year - will let it stay in that pot until such times as it shouts out for a move ;D

Meg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal