Author Topic: Fuchsia bud drop  (Read 6800 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Fuchsia bud drop
« on: June 23, 2009, 21:41:34 »
I've grown Fuchsias for a number of years both in containers and in the border (both hardy and half hardy varieties) but I've never had this problem before and I'd welcome your thoughts. 

Earlier in the year I was tempted by a 'celebrity' Fuchsia called Ant and Dec (I know, I know!) but I loved the colour way (like Sarah's Delta).  Anyway the plant has established well and has been potted on gradually until it's in its current 25cm container.  Foliage is a good green, no pests that I can see and it's in a semi-shaded spot, watered but not water logged.  But whilst I'm getting a good number of fat flower buds, quite a few are falling off before they open.  It has been quite windy but I don't think this should cause the buds to drop off and it's certainly not due to temperature.  Any ideas?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Fuchsia bud drop
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 22:22:25 »
I don`t know that particular variety (I`m happy to say), but is it a large flowered variety?  These are undoubtedly more prone to bud drop that the small flowered varieties, generally due to lack of air humidity rather than dryness at the root.  We have had several very hot dry days recently, interspersed with a few dry windy ones, and this could be the reason.  Try spraying with tepid water morning and late afternoon and see whether this does any good.

I do occasionally get the same problem with my standards of Ballet Girl and Royal Velvet and the spray usually works with them.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 22:30:59 »
I don`t know that particular variety (I`m happy to say), but is it a large flowered variety?  These are undoubtedly more prone to bud drop that the small flowered varieties, generally due to lack of air humidity rather than dryness at the root.  We have had several very hot dry days recently, interspersed with a few dry windy ones, and this could be the reason.  Try spraying with tepid water morning and late afternoon and see whether this does any good.

I do occasionally get the same problem with my standards of Ballet Girl and Royal Velvet and the spray usually works with them.

No it's quite a small flower really, single too.  But thanks for your advice I will certainly try that and hope it works.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:18:59 »
Are the buds distorted ?? There is a new problem with fuchsias called fuchsia gall !!!
It can also happen if you are over watering or over feeding them,can you show a piccy of the buds ???

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 18:06:55 »
Are the buds distorted ?? There is a new problem with fuchsias called fuchsia gall !!!
It can also happen if you are over watering or over feeding them,can you show a piccy of the buds ???

No, the buds aren't distorted as far as I can see.  It has been given a slow release organic fertiliser (like all my other plants which are fine) and is watered every few days, more if it needs it. 

I've moved it to a different spot (still semi-shaded) and followed Kepouros's advice re the spraying and I must say the bud drop has been much reduced in the last few days. 

Here are a couple of photos.

G x

PS.  Now that the flowers are beginning to open I'm very disappointed. Nothing like the photo on the label.   :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal