Author Topic: Sprouts Starting To Flower  (Read 1171 times)

ManicComposter

• Not So New ...
Sprouts Starting To Flower
« on: July 30, 2009, 21:20:16 »
Hi All,

I planted some sprout plants earlier in the year and have noticed that they seem to have bolted and started flowering.

I kind of think I planted them to early but they were given to me by a very experienced gardener. Is it the weather causing this problem? Lots of rain then warmth?

I think that is the most likely cause but thought i would ask your thoughts.

Many thanks

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Sprouts Starting To Flower
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 14:31:40 »
that's a poser, manic..not sure what would cause sprouts to bolt but have bumped this up for the experts opinions   :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 15:03:40 »
My guess it is 'root rock' that has caused it.

Sounds like that they are not firmly rooted or worse, you might have club root! meaning virtually no root at all.

Pull one up and have a look!

Take a picture of the root and post it up here!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Brassica%20planting/brassica%20planting.html

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Brussel%20sprouts/Brussels%20Sprouts.htm

ManicComposter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 13:39:55 »
Tee Gee,

Unfortunately I have already dug them up and disposed of the roots. There was plenty of root on the plant, it took me ages to dig them up. I chopped the roots of the plants and binned them, composting the rest of the foliage.

I do believe it to be something to do with the roots though. This is my first year on the plot and I didnt realise you shouldnt hoe around sprouts. I hoed around at least 4 times, mainly to clear weeds.

Guess it is just one of those things I will remember for next year.

Thanks for the advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal