Author Topic: filling my plot  (Read 7079 times)

trudie

• Not So New ...
filling my plot
« on: June 23, 2009, 20:06:01 »
hi ya could anyone give me tips on filling my plot quickly. Got the council on my back to get it all planted up in 28 days (aaaaah) thinking of Pumpkins as they take up a lot of room. Having two young boys and working only really leaves me weekends and if i'm lucky a few hours in the week to get on with my plot. I would hate to loose it, i've done so much so far in the last two years. When i got my plot it was four foot high in weeds and took me four dump runs to get rid of all the rubbish Half the plot is planted so cant understand why they're being aggy advice please

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Re: filling my plot
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 20:33:28 »
If its all ready then should not be a problem. I think I read on here 75% must be cultivated in most rule books.

You could plant some brassica plug plants in. I think you can get some from garden centers.

Maybe some sweetcorn too. Again a bit late from seed but you could try or again from plug plants.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 20:40:27 »
I had a catalogue from Dobies today & they had 50 brassicas for £10.95 + postage. Dont know if that's any help.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 20:56:03 »
Radishes come up quickly.  Purple sprouting broccoli, do not need to move it, sow sparingly.  Lots of pegs showing where things are growing.  Beans come up pretty quick, both runners and french.  Lettuce, surface sown, puts in a show in a few days after watering..  Again sow thinly, cut and come again.  Different colours look like different crops.  Also kale will come up quick again it is rather late to sow for moving but can be sown direct into final positions, sow two or three seeds and then a baig space.  GEt a few paclets of cheap seeds from Wilkinsons.  If you do not like it you can dig it in later.

More pegs with labels showing what you are growing.   

Pumpkins/courgettes need a huge space.   

Lots of labels.

Parsley from tesco.  Get a couple of tubs and split them up. 

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 21:00:18 »
thanks for the advice i 'm not going to let them take my little eden away

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 21:07:41 »
My allotment neighbour does an amazing job.  She only gets to allotment at weekends for a while.  She worries the soil a bit and throws in packets of seeds and it all jumps up in no time at all.

Forget peas, they put in an appearance pretty quick.

Suggest you make the edges look neat, it makes the whole site look loved.

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 21:11:03 »
Boot sales  Boot sales Boot sales

L:oads of stuff at boot sales.

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 21:19:03 »
My allotment neighbour does an amazing job.  She only gets to allotment at weekends for a while.  She worries the soil a bit and throws in packets of seeds and it all jumps up in no time at all.

Forget peas, they put in an appearance pretty quick.

Suggest you make the edges look neat, it makes the whole site look loved.
yeah been keeping it neat with two young boys that want to play adventures all day i 've got to keep it tidy maybe the council r just being "THE COUNCIL" as sometimes they can a bit difficult

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 21:41:41 »
i 've got to keep it tidy maybe the council r just being "THE COUNCIL" as sometimes they can a bit difficult

The council is responsible for ensuring tenants cultivate their plots or for passing the plots on to people who will.  People come here with monotonous regularity asking why there is a waiting list for the site they want to join when plots there are uncultivated.

If you're unable to cultivate your plot fully into your third season, perhaps a smaller plot might be more manageable and might help keep the council 'off your back'?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 22:05:36 by ceres »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 22:01:46 »
Having two young boys and working only really leaves me weekends and if I'm lucky a few hours in the week to get on with my plot. I would hate to loose it, I've done so much so far in the last two years.

Three points:
1)   Are there any plots in a worse state than yours and did other plot-holders get a letter too?

2)   What about giving up half a plot as Ceres suggested?  Being as busy as you have said would lead me to ask how & why , if you have not fully cultivated your plot in 3 years,  could you now suddenly manage it in 28 days?  If you could then would it not be already done so?

3)   If you think you will have more free time in the near future then make a list of all the positive things you have done on the plot such as clearing rubbish and brambles,  getting the ground into a more workable state than it was when you started.  Make a 3 month plan of what is next on your agenda regarding the plot and stick to it.  Any photo evidence proving the state of your plot compared to any current progress?  Put all this to the council as part of your defence if needed. 

In your heart of hearts,  if you really are struggling with the upkeep of a full plot, then suggest keeping half a plot.  as it is already cultivated and it should get the council off your back. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 22:16:22 »
We had a half plot in the early 70s, with a young child, two full-time jobs, demanding hobbies and an OU degree. We couldn't manage the allotment as well, so we gave it up.

We took one on again (same site) ten years ago, when we could commit the time.

If you really want it, go for it - but it's got to be central to your life!

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:41:48 »
i might take on a second plott next year to grow chouch grass and nettles

who says i have to grow veg

as long as i grow wot i intend to grow and do not affect anyother plot eather side of me . so wot

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:50:52 »
Welcome to A4A Trudie and Brian...
Well spaced Dwarf French Beans... but our local garden centres have knocked down the bare rooted brassicas ready to clear the shelves...

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:25:56 »
We had some folks on the site yesterday who put their name down for a half  plot at the beginning of the year. They wanted to come and have alook around the site. I must admit that I did feel for them. They appeared very enthusiastic and I couldn't help wondering what they must have thought when they passed a good number of plots that were not really being worked.( Praps a token planting at the front of their plots).
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 12:38:44 »
we've got some like that on our site. Spent a fortune on timber for raised beds that are largely growing thistles. There's four sharing the site (since late summer last year). Wander down every so often and wave watering cans at the lettuce. Two other plots haven't been touched this year. It's such a shame when there are so many wanting a site. Trouble is I think ,any dont realise just how much work is needed at times.

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 20:11:58 »
Welcome to A4A Trudie and Brian...
Well spaced Dwarf French Beans... but our local garden centres have knocked down the bare rooted brassicas ready to clear the shelves...
hi ya went to allotment first thing today after school run and dog walking, got loads done. Very large heap of weeds to burn over weekend, might take some marshmallows with me the boys would like that. getting some Pumpkins in at weekend hope not left it too late. Put some savoy cabbages in today hope the devil slugs stay away :-\

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 20:21:56 »
We had a half plot in the early 70s, with a young child, two full-time jobs, demanding hobbies and an OU degree. We couldn't manage the allotment as well, so we gave it up.

We took one on again (same site) ten years ago, when we could commit the time.

If you really want it, go for it - but it's got to be central to your life!
life is so busy but really don' t want to give up my plot cause i know that i wont get another so easy. When i first got my plot the other ten plots were over grown and not being used, now there all taken some hardcore gardeners some just playing. I need to fully commit, less house work more gardening

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 23:30:44 »
I need to fully commit, less house work more gardening

Put the TV in the skip.

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 21:23:19 »
I need to fully commit, less house work more gardening

Put the TV in the skip.
the TV is not my weakness sweetie my weakness is keeping my house clean and tidy

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 09:13:57 »
If you come round and sort out my house, I will sort out your allotment. ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal