Author Topic: Wisley  (Read 1429 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
Wisley
« on: September 30, 2004, 10:49:53 »
Has anyone been to Wisley recently or in a previous year at this time of year?
I am thinking about a trip there this weekend and wondered if it would be a good day out (birthday treat for me - with possible present purchase in the shop there).
I suppose Ryton could be a possibility - can anyone offer a comparison of the 2?
Sarah.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re:Wisley
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 11:03:53 »
Not very recently - went about a month ago. The veggie garden/allotment section was excellent. Just wandeing about looking gave me some useful ideas. Might be obvious to everyone else but I had never thought of growing my courgettes up (strong) poles in a wigwam.

We enjoyed it there so much that my girlf bought me RHS membership for my birthday, so we'll be going back lots!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 16:19:55 »
I have only been to Wisley once, and that was a while ago. If my memory serves me, it is a large area to walk around. I remember seeing some vegetables in trial beds. There was a show on at the time, so there were large leeks, etc.. But that is about all I can remember.

Ryton is not as big as Wisley (methinks), and is easier to walk around. There are compost displays, an "allotment", a bee garden, the all muck and magic garden, fruit trees, herbs gardens. There is a childrens garden with a playhouse. There is the "Vegetable Kingdom" which includes displays, a view of the seed saving area (for Heritage seed library) and a chance to look at some of the more bizarre varieties of veg/fruit. The shop is well stocked with foods, drinks (including cannabis lager), as well as gardening supplies (seeds from the organic gardening catalogue) suitable for organic gardening, bird boxes, "houses" for lacewings. bees. ladybirds... etc. The restaurant has a nice menu, and there is a cafe. Think entry fee is less than a £5 (free for members of RHS? and of course, HDRA). Had a good day there on Tuesday.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 08:31:04 »
Now that sounds like fun - will have to go there!

So, what did you do, Sarah-b? Good birthday treat?

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 10:24:27 »
We did go to Wisley and had a great time thanks.
It was spitting with rain, but that didn't worry me and thank goodness the children didn't seem bothered either - so no whining. Kept them stocked up with raisins and managed to get round all the things I wanted to see (obviously veg garden was a priority for me!)
Actually it is a wonderful place and the veg bit is inspirational (if slightly depressing!) - the pumpkin display was fab and has left me even more confused about which seeds to get for next year!

I plan to go to Ryton in the Spring - as soon as things start hotting up...

Sarah

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 11:57:11 »
I like Wisley alot, I used to work for the RHS at Rosemoor (in Devon) in the shop when I was at college and was always being sent to Wisley for training.

I haven't been to either in about 5 years but believe that they have changed quite a bit so I will have to go. My fav always was the herb and vegetable garden at Rosemoor - I used to eat my lunch there most days! So it would be interesting to see how much they have changed.

Sam
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:57:34 by Pixie »
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal