Author Topic: Storing red onions  (Read 1870 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
Storing red onions
« on: September 30, 2004, 09:07:19 »
Hi everybody,

While I was on holiday in early September my dear mother lifted all my onions for me (even though they weren't ready) and I have been drying them off in the house for the last three weeks.

Last night I started making my onion strings, my white onions were fine but my red onions have almost all started to grow new roots! I have strung them anyway - will they stop growing now that they are in the dark cellar rather than the light futility room?

sigh....

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re:Storing red onions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 12:36:13 »
Hi Ten,
          Don't think they will stop growing..They wil probably start shooting again from top
I would freeze them..
They freeze real well onions..
The way I do it is peel them. chop them up how you want them as in rings or sliced etc.
Put them in a freezer bag, get air out tie it up.Then put the bag inside another freezer bag tied end to bottom ..Tie second bag up. This is to make sure no smell in freezer while they are freezing.I dont blanch them and they dont stick together,You just get some out of bag as and when needed.  Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 17:05:25 »
I read a very interesting page on storing onions and it said that after bending the stems over for a fortnight, pull up the onions and lay them on the ground with the roots towards the Midday Sun.  The heat apparently stops the sprouting process,  If it is any consolation, my 'Dear little Sister' pulled all my show carrots, peeled and chopped them and had them neatly bagged in the freezer by the time we had returned from holiday!  Cheers, Tony. ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 17:23:56 »
Tony - don't you know that it's always raining when you lift your onions??
Ten - don't know about red, but our whites had to be lifted way before they were ready & they have dried out fine in the kitchen after stringing.
Jim - if you cook them first, they take up 1/4 of the room? = Tim
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 18:40:14 by tim »

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 17:45:17 »
I must confess that I always give mine a fortnight on the spare bedroom floor to dry off thoroughly, then put them in net bags in the shed. Never get more than the odd one or two `go off`.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 12:09:34 »
Well I have frozen a few that were too far gone to save (thanks growmore) and have strung the rest, will keep an eye on them and hope!!

Bannerdown I am sorry for your show carrots! But you can't yell too much, as they are doing it with the best intentions  ::)

Ten x
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:10:43 by Tenuse »
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal