Author Topic: Fruit cages  (Read 1597 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Fruit cages
« on: June 18, 2009, 15:38:48 »
After looking at my lotty neighbours fruit bushes which he inherited from the previous lotty holder I now intend to build a fruit cage to accommodate gooseberries , Blackberries and raspberries, starting from scratch do I start this year or next?, :)

SPUDLY

• Acre
Re: Fruit cages
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 15:47:07 »
I'm planning on doing the same after being given an old ploy tunnel frame, just need some suitable net to cover it with. If you have the time then there's no time like the present. ;). I'm just trying to work out a way to easily remove the net for pollination.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:40:44 »
No time like the present, if you want to protect your ripening fruit.  If you have netting with a wide enough mesh - about 2 cm square - you should have no problem with letting pollinating insects in while keeping troublesome pigeons etc. out.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 15:18:58 »
One of my lotty neighbours used an old polytunnel  frame which is about four foot in height and used debris netting to cover the frame, :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 15:57:56 »
IFF you can get your hand on 8 foot scaffolding poles they are perfect for making a permanent frame.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 16:29:10 »
Debris netting surely would not let the insects in to pollinate the fruit?

I am looking to build one ready for next year so will watch this space!

I will be using one side of my chicken run - as one of the boundaries - so I will be looking for some fairlyl good strong netting which will not be heavy and large enough for the insects and not too expensive.!! Tall order I expect!  Any advice would be welcomed!

Old Bird

:D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 17:00:19 »
 forgot to say hes growing Cabbages, :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 18:27:27 »
Spudly,
        I think I will be going for the netting you can get in the pound shops,  I will create a base out of nine inch gravel boards which I already have and the lower half of the cage will be debris netting cut in half which will give me three foot and the top half of the cage will be the cheapo stuff the top also being debris netting this construction will then allow bees to come and do their stuff with a gate at one end, so now I need to source some decent fruit bushes, :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 19:25:46 »
we used chicken wire  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 20:58:42 »
Manic,
          I think chicken wire at the moment is top dollar I've seen some netting 2x10 meters with for a £5.00,

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 21:06:21 »
like mr smiths neighbor i use a poly tunnel frame covered with debris netting, the blackbirds were having a field day on the red currents.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 21:39:54 »
If you can find a local thatcher, you'll find a ready supply of old chicken wire that he should willingly give away - considering he has to pay to skip it ::)
The 1/2 inch gauge we got is plenty big enough for bumble bee access ;D

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 22:39:33 »
Dont forget too knock of any snow in the winter months
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal