Author Topic: leeks  (Read 1060 times)

yorkielondon

• Not So New ...
leeks
« on: June 19, 2009, 13:05:50 »
 hi there not had my lottie for long.. only 3months :).. about to plant some leeks. whats the soil prep should i do. to get some yummy leeks.. cheers....

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 13:12:51 »
Soil just needs to be free from perennial weeds and workable. I would suggest that you sow the seed in a pot and grow on before planting out. That will give you more time to work the plot.

Once planted the leeks will require watering while the weather is dry and kept free of weeds. Give one or two feeds with your fave fertilizer.

Enjoy.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 13:51:03 »
Welcome to A4A Yorkie...
You can often pick up leek seedlings at garden centres for 9-15p each... will be ready sooner, as they are ready to plant out...  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 20:43:46 »
I've just bought some shimonita spring onion seeds from D T brown. They can be used as S/O or left to grow on & develop a leek like stem & they are winter hardy & they are post free & you get 3 free packs of seed with your order. I bought 3 packs of seed & 3 free ones.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 21:11:25 »
To prep the soil I dig a trench, (like you do for potatoes) fill it with wel rotted manure then replace the earth and plant your leeks with a dibber.

yorkielondon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 00:26:08 »
thxs... i will take it all on board.. and hopefully get some good leeks...  :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal