Author Topic: Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!  (Read 4532 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
« on: September 29, 2004, 12:22:39 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I got a phone call this morning asking me to come and choose my plot at the allotments where I have been on the waiting list for what feels like ages. I rushed up there straight away and picked a really good looking plot. Not too big so I should manage it on my own, it's 3 poles long and I guess about 1 pole wide (not sure on the width). It's got some weeds on it but the previous tenant has treated them with weed killer so they need digging out now. The plot was manured last year and they are expecting a trailer load of manure to be delivered from the local farmer fairly soon, so I have asked them to dump a load at my plot as well. The water point is about 10 steps away and there are hosepipes and basic tools available at the communual shed (which is also about 10 steps away) should they be needed.

Both children will be at school and nursery on Friday so I shall be digging out weeds and getting hold of some palletts to make a compost bin.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
Re:Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 12:28:20 »
Congratulations Jess, sounds like a good plot. Get out there and enjoy it !!
Granny is still your best friend !

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 13:38:49 »
Well done Jess! How exciting ;D Oh and don't forget to buy a  bottle of radox!! :o DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 15:58:11 »
Congratulations Jess, ;) I'm really pleased for you, flex them muscles and get stuck in while the weather is still on our side.

Roy. ;D

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 16:31:43 »
Fantastic news Jess I'm so chuffed for you!!!!  8)

Just don't do too much all at once. If you can manage it how about some before and after piccies?  ;D

Eileen.

ENJOY!!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 16:32:47 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 16:54:19 »
i know exactly how you feel!
well done!
Jemma x

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 17:48:18 »
WOOHOO! ;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 18:28:24 »
FANTASTIC ;D ;D ;D. Hope you have many happy hours down there.
Light of my life!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 19:44:39 »
Great news, Jess, must be true when they say "Everything comes to he/she who waits..."  :)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 19:53:25 »
Thanks all for your well wishes. Must remember to take my camera along with me. The weather forecast says rain for Friday, typical isn't it? Waited all this time and the first day I have to make a start it's going to rain! Best get my waterproofs dusted off then. Really pleased though, at least I can spend the winter deciding what to grow, it will take all winter to decide I'm sure.  :)

P.S. I will try to wipe this big grin off my face sometime soon.  ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 10:04:11 »
That's great news Jess!
Hope the weather picks up for you. I've got another year to wait before both of my children are at school/nursery - just hope I'm not working full-time then.
Yes - spend the winter evenings pouring over the catalogue's - it's great fun.
Does you site have a supplies shed? On ours, you can join the horti club and get seeds etc for a big discount in the shed.

Sarah.

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 10:33:11 »
Sarah, take your kids with you ... I have one 8 month old and one 4 1/2 (apparemntly the 1/2 is important  ;D) take a picnic blanket with you, some toys in a box, an extra spade for the eldest and some "supplies" when hungary and thirsty and mine have been fine for a couple of hours. Both children seem to enjoy being in the fresh air. I know it is getting cooler now but it is still not too cold. If you time going down to the plot and feeding time for your youngest well, he/she may fall asleep as well.

If anyone can think of amusements for children of this age I would be grateful for more ideas  ???

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 12:01:15 »
Sarah they do have seeds at a discounted rate so I will be buying from them, some of the money goes towards the association. Have been online this morning to order some strawberry plants, blueberries and raspberries, at least I can get some things planted now once I've manured the plot.

I will take my children (5 and 3) along with me sometimes but only if I know I will be there for a short time. They do keep busy but there's a limit for how long. From experience in the garden I know my 5 year old son will be kept amused for ages collecting creepy crawlies and putting them in a clear jar with a lid. Sometimes he also gets some paper and pens and draws his "Zoo" collection. My 3 year old is also learning the art of amusing herself (usually drowning the plants with her watering can) but younger than 3 I think is more difficult to keep busy. I've already received strict instructions to mark off a piece of the plot as "Scott's Zone", mummy isn't allowed to plant anything in this zone, or else!  :)

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 12:39:30 »
Hi again - I did put a post on this subject a few months ago and I think there were some good ideas. I have to say, they have really settled down on the plot since we first got it. We recently managed a 4 hour stretch with the children very happy (a just 4 and a just 2 years old). I do love to see them there enjoying themselves, but would dearly love to spend more time on my own there, really getting on with stuff.
When I do take them, I always pack a food bag (essential). Spades work well and the younger one likes a big stick that can be his horse. The younger one loves to have a worm in each hand - and I think that is a fair sacrifice for a bit of peace and quiet. Have tried to get the older one interested in collecting all the stones from the plot (which is something reminiscient of a gravel pit) - but she's not showing many signs of being too interested in that!
In my experience the 2 year old lasts longer that the 4 yr old (maybe because he has been there from a younger age...)

Sarah.

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 11:36:30 »
Well done  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Hope your lottie is everything you want it to be!!!  ;D
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

EvieB

• Not So New ...
Re: Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 17:35:34 »
Hmmm, maybe a small sandpit and some shells, buckets and spades, tell the kids it`s a beach! 8)  Make sure you can cover the pit so`s no cats use it for a loo. Plus, when the sand gets grubby you can always scatter it around your plot for extra drainage ;D
Are they Melons? (o)(o)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal