Author Topic: TV Company seeks exciting allotment!  (Read 8491 times)

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
TV Company seeks exciting allotment!
« on: September 29, 2004, 10:40:13 »
My company is looking to produce a gardening/lifestyle TV show based around allotments.  The intention is to appeal to all, but particularly non-entry level gardeners.  I am looking for a high quality, large group of allotments, which crucially needs to have "character" in addition to the allotment - the people, social activities etc.

Can anyone suggest a suitable location - drop me a mail?  kelwyn.whittaker@oriontv.co.uk

Thanks

Kelwyn Whittaker

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
Re:TV Company seeks exciting allotment!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 19:37:41 »
Who would want a camera shoved in there face when you are at peace with the country..then again about time we had some Veggie progammes on T.V instead of all these Garden revamps with patios and decking.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:00:28 »
And id sooner not have a mad rush of telly watching 30 something urbanites rushing down to get a lottie and ruin the scene with all their pathetic one upmanships and "parrot fashion e-drivel"

I like the peace ands quiet away from these morons, dont want them down the lottie shouting "fantastic !!" down their little phones all day long.

I think you media types had better stick to "the good life" for idealistic urban/rural humour...and i dont want you all making us look like retards either
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 11:47:18 »
Hello

Many thanks for your helpful comments.  It's re-assuring to know that alongside the extremely helpful, polite and constructive allotment gardeners I have spoken to, there are some who wish to continue a tradition of isolation, exclusion, intolerance and stereotyping.

As it happens, the programme I am developing is by gardeners, for gardeners, and I, like "salad muncher" would welcome tv programming on veggies, as opposed to patios and decking.  If you don't want to watch, well don't.  If you don't want to take part, don't - but kindly do the courtesy of not publicly abusing me and my colleagues.  Behind the "media types" you refer to are a whole range of people (like allotment gardeners) with varied motivation and attitudes.

As for making you look like a retard, I don't think you need a tv crew for this.

Any helpful suggestions - please keep them coming.

rdak

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 12:30:18 »
Kelwyn,

Have you tried contacting the National Allotment Society www.nsalg.org.uk ?

They might be able to help,

Ross

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 13:29:15 »
Hi there just a note to Fingle went to say I am Thirty something (33) then thought hold on how old are you and you are thirty two I take it you are not wanting your mates to come and join you at the allotment ? ? thinking about it dont want mine around either may have to tell them I've given it up and then keep quiet so as not to give them any idea's on joining up ;)

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 14:53:13 »
In that case ORION, why the need for a "group of allotments, which crucially needs to have "character"

Im guessing your more inclined to lean towards personalities there than the vegetables themselves.
Time and again you lot show your true colours and trample over peoples lives for the sake of a quick laugh and a buck.

If indeed I am wrong, I whole-heartedly apologize, and wish you every success, it would indeed be nice to watch something informative on the box for a change, especially if it helps people de-tangle from the consumer world
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 14:57:51 »
Oh and cheers for the DIRECT insult !

Sensitive arent you

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 15:38:40 »
Hi Fingle

Thanks for the message – at least we are proving how passionate people are about allotments!

I search for "character" because a programme needs to inform and entertain.  The back of a packet of seeds provides vegetable information, but it alone would not make interesting television.  I make no apologies for this - there is a whole community of knowledgeable, interesting and passionate allotment gardeners in the UK, and I know many of them would welcome an exchange of ideas, and you never know, maybe even a "laugh".  Of course, as a business we make TV programmes to earn a living, but I have no intention of trampling over peoples' lives - it is also completely unnecessary.  Only this morning I spoke to an allotment group, not too far from Surbiton actually - and they seemed very excited that TV is interested in allotments, and extended an offer for us to discuss our proposal further.

Since I appear to have exposed a raw nerve, I propose not to anger the allotment community any more by pursuing this line of research, so thanks to salad muncher and Ross for the positive feedback.  You never know, if we develop an allotment road show, we might be in your area – if you feel you can run the risk of a camera and garden expert destroying your life!

By the way, my name is Kelwyn.  I work for Orion TV.

Happy gardening!

rdak

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 15:56:38 »
Kelwyn,

Couldn't agree more- how many people would watch a TV programme that is a very dry instruction manual on how to grow vegetables? That's what books are for.
Good luck with making an informative and entertaining programme!

Ross

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 16:02:12 »
Kelwyn you are welcome anytime subject to terms & conditions  ;)
Look forward to seeing programme but make sure this is shown in the Carlton region there is an allotment programme thats been shown on different regions but not here and on terestrial T.V

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 16:23:54 »
Oh ignore me, im a grumpy sod sometimes.

there is a wealth of characters here, and im sure they will be a goldmine for your endeavour.

I think you know where i was coming from, but it appears I was barking up the wrong tree.

Theres a crazy brazillian woman opposite me who would be great on a telly program, and loves her little plot.

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 18:36:13 »
Seem to remember a TV series about an allotment group somewhere in London it was years ago. I think it was around Leyton?
I understand that Nanna Moon from East Enders is a keen plot holder perhaps that would be a good starting place.

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 08:41:01 »
Thanks Len - I'll check her out - I suspect her Eastenders contract might be a bit restrictive though!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 11:52:26 »
I must admit when I first read this I did laugh the thought of my lottie members they would make the good life look quiet. There are so many charaters down there on going feuds and these are mature gardeners. One is pinching the vedge just has to be caught I am one of four lady gardeners so we are quite a novelty down there. Last year I was treated as the little woman this year I am getting more respect so I am getting there.
But saying that have meet some great gardeners one in fact that gardens the old way my mum did so lots of time for him.
But I would not give it up defenly not dull and boring.
I do hope you find your lottie and I wish you luck and hopefull will be able to see it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 16:37:03 »
Brill idea, Kelwyn. I for one would welcome a true-to-life, updated and even more amusing look at 'The Good-life' than the original which keeps popping onto our screens more often than 'The sound of Music' and that 'Chitty Bangy Thingy'.
To a non-gardener, 'Gardeners at Large' probably look like a bunch of bananas, all the same. But a closer look shows that in fact every single one is different, just peel away the outer layer and see the best bit.
I work and enjoy my plot among about 100 others characters from as many countries, all now resident here in Belgium. Pity they don't all speak English! One thing about gardeners the world over, the language they speak is understood by everyone....even if some of the methods are impossible to grasp!Good luck, get forrad.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 20:37:34 »
"Pity they don't all speak English"??

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 21:16:21 »
Oh Ina,
Think the trouble with us British is that every nation speeks English as there second language.
When we lived in Germany my german was not very good so I would start off in german then english when I got stuck and back to german. Made some smile but always felt I made the effort and enjoyed it.
On a weekend to Holand with the family I spoke german oh ah bad move? speaking german with an english accent.
Was told if I could not speak Dutch to speak english.
Hubby still remembers my face the shock but we still laugh about it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 22:08:03 »
To clarify the point....I studied Dutch in a class where 21 different languages were the 'moder taal' between the 29 students there. At break times we would congregate in the 'playground' where the universal language was English!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 22:19:47 »
Hahaha.
I know it's harder for native English speakers to practice another language when they are abroad, since most people there like to practice the English they learned at school, which doesn't give you much opportunity to practice their language.

Having said that Ken, I assume that many of those people from different countries at the allotments speak Flemish as their second language since they live in northern Belgium. So, maybe it's not a pity they don't speak English but your chance to learn or improve your Flemish and as a bonus you may end up with an interesting accent.

I know, this is way off the subject of this thread. Excuses.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal