Author Topic: A Good Year for Gooseberries  (Read 3471 times)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: A Good Year for Gooseberries
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:53 »
3 were heavily laden but the annual gooseberry thief got them first ...again!

Pigeons.

my pigeons removed the netting first :(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 11:08:38 »
They are getting very sneaky...  :-X

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:12 »
We've just picked all ours for wine.A few years ago all our berries were taken but the thief was the non feathered variety,and given other thefts it was another plotholder  >:(
sanity is overated

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 13:05:29 »
That is so sad that people steal gooseberries.  I have been lucky so far and nothing has been taken, perhaps the quality of my produce is not good enough.  The only thing I found last night was that one red onion had been dug up and moved, perhaps pigeons like onions or were just playing about.  I agree pigeons are getting too clever and too fat, when they land on redcurrant, blackcurrant, gooseberry bushes they are so heavy that they break some of the branches off.  Not too keen on gooseberries but will have to cook them and eat them because I have grown them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 13:38:25 »
If you leave them on until they soften most gooseberries are OK as a fresh "dessert" without cooking..  :)

Cool Cucumber

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 17:13:15 »
I am actually just drinking a delicious smoothie made from frozen gooseberries I picked last week. I just mixed the frozen berries, natural yogurt and some honey in a blender, and it is really lovely! Cold and refreshing. Give it a try.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 20:44:20 »
I have found a good way to stop people from stealing your produce as it happened to me today on MY ALLOTMENT trying to pick MY sweet peas.  I had forgotten that I had tied some of the plants up with twine, and tripped over it, arse about face and it hurt.  Put a few trip wires down, but say that they are for tieing up the plants.  Had a few gooseberries this year and made jam.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 20:56:24 »
got 3 1/2 lb off our garden gooseberry, about 7 berries off the 2 at the plot..gooseberry sawfly  :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal