Author Topic: cider making qusetion......  (Read 1797 times)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
cider making qusetion......
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:51:37 »
I want to try making cider this year, I have access to a lot of windfalls, mostly dessert types but also some cooking and crab apples. Could anybody tell of an easy way to make palatable cider without too much equipment? Any advice/tips, links etc.. would be great, thanks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: cider making qusetion......
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 13:18:54 »
I think you will have to consider some initial expense-a crusher and press are more or less essential if you are making more than a glassful.

I have a `vigo` that has lasted for years and years. I don`t make alcoholic drinks these days but fresh apple juice is wonderful.

For a decent `cider` look at a few recipes-you need a blend of sweet,tart and a touch of bitter-so try a mix of `eating``cooking` and a few crab apples-you seem to have those so give it a try

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
Re: cider making qusetion......
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 20:42:36 »
We first made ours with a liquidiser and a hired press from a local homebrew shop, however for a small outlay you can adapt some timber an old work top and a car jack into a press and use a strong bucket and a short piece of fencepost to mash the apples.
As above get as many different varieties as possible to produce a nice smooth cider  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal