Author Topic: Newbie needs some advice and motivation ...  (Read 4165 times)

BoyWonder

• Not So New ...
Newbie needs some advice and motivation ...
« on: June 15, 2009, 21:29:50 »
Hi all, I'm new here and this is my first post ... so please bare with me  ;D

After being on the list for an allotment for 2 years we finally got a phone on Saturday morning asking us to pop over as they have an allotment for us ... so all excited we went over and got a shock!

The allotment is in real bad shape, on a slope and needs a lot of work ...

This is the front of the allotment and the only bit that's decent!

This is from the side of the allotment showing the shed that we've 'inherited'.

This shows the actual slope and the attempts by the previous owner to dig it up!

My plan is to use the communal strimmer and cut all the weeds down to the roots and then dig them up.
Use some decking timber to create boxes and arrange them in a terrace ... i realise this is going to take me a looooong time and am going to do it box by box, not even thinking about planting anything yet!

It was either get this allotment or wait for a few more years as we are still 8th in the queue (we got recommended for this as we are relatively young compared to the rest on the waiting list above us and as this plot requires a lot of work!)

Am i going on about this the right way? does anyone have any helpfull hints or suggestions? I'm all ears as at the mo I'm a bit daunted by the whole task ...

Finally the good good thing i found on this plot is this plant but no one knows what it actually is ...

Got any ideas? The thing is absolutely huge!

Thank you for reading ...

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: Newbie needs some advice and motivation ...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 21:33:18 »
hi the plant is a gunnera
congrats on getting a plot and
welcome to a4a
lbb

two sheds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 21:40:02 »
Gunnera! Put  a pond in lol

Congratulations on your plot, sound like you have the right idea, bit at a time so you dont lose motivation. While you are woring on it cover over next years bit with black plastic or cardboard or newspapers after you have strimmed and it will be easier to dig over-get some winter stuff in kale cabbages caulis even if these beds are not perfect you can resort next year but you will get some produce for your labours

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 21:41:56 »
Have to say your plot looks in better shape than many I've seen! Doesnt look like theres much rubbish, or big weeds (except for the giant hogweed thing, that will probably need a JCB if you ever get tired of it!)

Shed looks solid and a good size, my first job would be to open out the front of the shed and put windows in, and lay down some decking around it. Then I'd sit and drink beer, take photos, light the barbie, and ponder what to do next!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 21:43:18 »
Hiya, boy wonder, welcome to a4a  ;D
sounds like you have big plans, just take it a day at a time, don't pull your back out doing too much and enjoy it, it's worth it in the end  :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 21:46:54 »
Welcome to A4A. Don't worry yourself about the state of the plot. The majority of people take on plots that are not in a good way. Most of the people on here started off with a nightmare and have turned it around so it can be done  ;D  ;D

You have 2 main choices - spray with glyphosphate, cover up and uncover as you go and dig it bed by bed. Or, cover it and dig bit by bit.  You may have couch, can't really see from the pic, but at least it isn't bindwind and brambles!  :)

I would personally spray and then cover. We sprayed our plot when we first took it on. I wouldn't like to claim we are totally organic now, but we are close to it. I think it did make a difference. You will have to dig the roots out anyway.

The shed is useful. Give it a coat of paint and it will look great! Maybe redo the roof as well.

It will take time. An allotment is a long term project.

Take lots of photos as that gives motivation and inspiration as you can see the improvements.

We turned our site from this:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_SXMv2XhorB4/R91f0acefEI/AAAAAAAAADg/E9PHowFa2p8/s1600-h/IMG_1698.jpg
http://bp0.blogger.com/_SXMv2XhorB4/R91ee6cefCI/AAAAAAAAADQ/Q2sBqjILzTI/s1600-h/IMG_1703.jpg

to.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoJhJGdVp8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Flottieplotfour%2Eblogspot%2Ecom%2Fsearch%3Fupdated%2Dmin%3D2009%2D01%2D01T00%253A00%253A00Z%26updated%2Dmax%3D2010%2D01%2D01T00%253A00%253A00Z%26max%2Dresults%3D&feature=player_embedded

Took 1 and a half years....

Lots of similar stories on this site

Having a plot is brilliant you will love it! Best of luck

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 21:47:17 »
I wouldn't be too worried about the weeds etc, and the shed will be useful.  Not too happy about the slope, but someone on here who is more experienced may be able to help with that, but pleased at least my allotment is flat.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 21:52:39 »
The massive thing is Gunnera maculata. Is your soil damp? It likes damp conditions. Take your time, dig what you can, and either strim or cover with black plastic what you can't. Lack of light and regular cutting are good ways of finishing off the weeds ready for digging.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 22:07:56 »
Yup, that's Gunnera! I've always wanted one of those but I just don't have the space so I grow regular rhubarb instead.

Like everyone says, do one bed at a time. Look at that bed and turn your back on the rest. Revel in what you've done, not despair at what you haven't.

Good luck with it.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 22:35:56 »
How about this?

http://lambert.to/euro2004/morocco/steep-terracing.jpg

Your site does look a real challenge but I am sure you will win.  I would recommend planting some things as soon as possible.  Even on a slope things will grow and you will get a great sense of success.  I planted two tubs of tesco parsley on my plot.  Every time I went down to the allotment I took a great deal of encouragement seeing something green growing.  It did not take long for a few things to start sprouting up.

My policy has been dig a bit plant a bit.  A sloped site has its advantages, the plants at the bottom cast less shadow on the ones above.  I am sure peas for example will not care whether they are on a slope of not.  And courgettes and pumpkins will ramble all over the place.

Only been at my allotment three months and it is bursting with things growing.

Good luck.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 22:37:16 »
Congratulations on your new plot, I've only had mine for 8 months and it was a tip when I got it. I built raised beds and dug, weeded, removed stones and glass and I'm very happy with the results.
        I love your idea of terraced beds, hard work yes, but it will look fantastic when it's finished and fully planted. Can't tell from your pics but what's the view like ?
        The BBQ and a beer idea sounds like a good one.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 22:38:08 »
Welcome to the forum.  You'll love it here.  Happy gardening.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 22:56:38 »
Hope you like it here... get a cheap trough/window box and some compost... sow some lettuce/salad leaf/radish whatever... and grow something NOW  :)

BoyWonder

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 08:52:02 »
Hi folks,

Thank you all for your support and helpfull hints ... i must say that i like it here!

I think I'll keep that gunnera maculata (thanks for the name) and make a little garden around it who knows i may even build a little pond lol!

lewic i love the bbq idea ... i may just do that and invite the neighbours over too and make some new friends at the allotment.

Sparkly i love that video you put up ... specially the music lol! i must say it looks really good and you must have put a lot of effort in to that.

Digeroo ... yeah something just like that (very funny indeed!)

I'm gonna get up bright and early on Saturday and start the destruction lol ... like you guys say it's going to be bit by bit and cover the rest up. I'm going to do a bit of research on the use of blyphosphate and also need to source some black plastic sheeting. Dint like the idea of using carpets like some of the peeps have done on the allotment.

I'll make sure i keep you guys updated with the progress and i will have a million questions so you will see me on here a lot! ha ha

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:33 »
Hi and welcome to A4A BoyWonder
Lots of great advice here. I'd add another possibility into the mix. After you have strimmed get some cheap weed suppressant from Poundland or wilkinsons and lay it down (weighed at the edges or dig a mini trench round the edges) and then cut holes through the fabric and plant through it. Buy a cheap bag of compost so you can fill the holes with that. You should be able to get some plug plants from garden centres - courgettes, pumpkins, beans etc. That way you get to kill off the weeds and grow something edible at the same time  ;D

I'd also take a look around the site to see how everyone else deals with the slope!

Good luck and happy gardening

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 10:09:02 »
One thing for sure Boywonder is that gardening on a slope will keep you fit.

Our site is on a railway embankment and is fairly steep and my plot looked like yours several years ago. We "terrace" our plot using scaffold planks and poles.  Most scoffolding forms are happy to get rid of old stock for a few quid..

Then all you need is a few good old Irish Boys and a 16 lb hammer!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:44 »
Welcome to A4A, BW.   :) :) :) :) :)

Terracing seems the best way to go, but don't do too much at a time.  Do a bit, plant something in what you've done, sit back and have a beer and relax before tackling the next bit. It may take months, but take loads of pictures and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.

:) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 13:43:25 »
Hi
I'm very new myself and this site is the best for good/friendly advice.  Best I got was (a) bit at a time and forget the rest and (b) have a plan - mine is to get 3 small areas prepared so I'm doing more (only just) than just scratching the surface and also not relying on first successes from just one veggie.  As far as the black plastic is concerned, I invested in a huge roll of damp-coursing plastic from B&Q.  Its about 12m long x 3m wide and was perfect to cover about a third of my half-plot.  It beats having to muck around with bits of cardboard or carpet, and is re-usable.  Best of luck.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 15:36:49 »
My plots are on a slope facing south , the slope give plants plenty of sunshine . I built a shed at the top of the plot and placed 9 barrels around it - so to water I just drop a hose into the barrels and gravity does all the work for me . I also placed my compost area up the top of the plot as it is easier to barrow downhill than to push up. The slope stops the ground from getting waterlogged. By the way the top of the plot is 16ft higher than the bottom

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 18:17:00 »
Hi and welcome to A4A BoyWonder
Lots of great advice here. I'd add another possibility into the mix. After you have strimmed get some cheap weed suppressant from Poundland or wilkinsons and lay it down (weighed at the edges or dig a mini trench round the edges) and then cut holes through the fabric and plant through it. Buy a cheap bag of compost so you can fill the holes with that. You should be able to get some plug plants from garden centres - courgettes, pumpkins, beans etc. That way you get to kill off the weeds and grow something edible at the same time  ;D

I'd also take a look around the site to see how everyone else deals with the slope!

Good luck and happy gardening

This is pretty much what I've doing on mine, dug up some of the land for my onions and beans (just had the first of the broad beans last night and they were yummy) but most of my plot is covered in weed plastic.... I've dropped builders bulk bags on it with topsoil and some manure I got from freecycle (as were the bags TBH) and I'm growing potatos, beans, sweetcorn, italian tomatos and a few squash in the bags but I've also poked holes through the mulch plastic and planted assorted outdoor cucurbits (squashes, gherkins cucumbers and a pumpkin) through them.... they should serve to block out the light and supress the weeds even more.... you never know I might get a crop off them too ..... THe pumpkin has a traditional "big pile of poo" underneath it so I'll be unhappy if it doesn't do anything.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal