Author Topic: onions after pot's  (Read 2237 times)

oubykh

• Half Acre
onions after pot's
« on: September 28, 2004, 18:14:04 »
Does anyone have any thoughts on if i should plant my winter onions on the ground i used for potatoes this year.  One book i read said it was not a good idea as they may get thick necks  ???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:onions after pot's
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 18:23:16 »
Lots of ideas - no knowledge. Although onions & pots are in the same rotational group, I've not knowingly suffered by that follow-on. = Tim

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 16:57:03 »
Ah well, thanks Tim.
i remembered that it was Bob flowerdew in KG nov 2003 where i read it

And it was just after i had prepared the ground for the onions and ordered them that i read that!
But yes i think i will go ahead

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 18:04:00 »
Remember that potatoes will have depleted potassium levels in the soil. Some increased supplementation, above and beyond normal side dressing, with K just prior to bulbing may be needed.

dave

• Not So New ...
  • born-again peasant
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 22:57:35 »
Followed my arran pilots with 2 varieties of leek this year and they've done really well; about to start eating the early ones
Planted winter onion sets to follow  desiree last week so we'll see what happens

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 23:02:34 »
Dave - you mention winter onion sets.....are these available now then in the shops or presumably from a seed catalogue...if planted about now, when are they harvested please?

Go away tomorrow for about 12 days so may not see answer for little while....

Maggie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 23:10:09 »
I received my onions from Marshalls a couple of weeks back, but they can be planted out I think right through until the start of November. They don't store as well as summer planted sets, altho my winter onions from last year didn't get white rot and I still have a dozen or so strung up in my shed and they are doing just fine!  ;D

Forgot to say...can't remember when I harvested them, but I guess it was early summer time.....to start with I pulled them as I needed them, then when I wanted the growing room I pulled the rest up and left them to dry at home in the garden.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 23:11:06 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 23:14:42 »
Wow - thanks for quick reply Emma - will get some while I'm away in Chelmsford, probably Wilkinsons will have some - we've not got one here in Reading  :'(

Maggie

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 21:37:07 »
Did you find any in wilko's? My local one only has flower bulbs.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 21:54:31 »
I thought onion sets were planted in spring and seeds sown in August? The seed catalogue I've got from my allotment are selling sets but with a delivery for early January, will this be too late?  ???
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 11:45:31 »
You can get overwintering (Japanese) onions now for planting from now until the end of October.  The sets you see delivered in January are for planting in early spring - your maincrop onions I guess you would call them.  They store for longer, but mine all succumbed to white rot, so I think I will be giving them a miss next year.  :'(

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 17:42:10 »
No, I didn't see any either in Chelmsford's Wilko's - like your branch Sarah, they only had flowering bulbs (well when I was in there anyway) - got back from Chelmsford today and was in there a day or two ago (for the 2nd or 3rd time and still not any  :(). However, I did see them in Chelmsford market so maybe your local market gardening stalls are good places to look also. H.P.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal