Author Topic: Considering chicken's!  (Read 3711 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Considering chicken's!
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:23:25 »
Hi all,

I new to gardening have started a veg patch in the garden and i love the idea of producing my own fruit and veg.

My partner came home the other day had been speaking to someone at work who has chickens and suggested that we should look into it. My partner is likes the idea and would be out tomorrow buying all the bits needed but im the one asking is it going to be viable!.

firstly its trying to work out where it would go. We do have a lawn area but my son is footie mad so not sure if its unfair on him wouldn't be a great idea to let him carry on playing im sure the chickens would get fed up with a ball hitting the house.

I have an area down the bottom of the garden which is currently a play area has a swing set which i could get rid of but the floor is covered in play bark! Plus its where the sheds are also!

I do have a large area near the house which is concreated unused waste to be honest but is this suitable for chickens?

Also there is a badger set in someones garden a couple of doors up we used to have him visiting all the time but since we have our scottie dog about a yr now he hasn't been brave enough to come in! Even though if he did angus would probably run a mile hehe

How do dogs and chickens get on? not sure how angus would react?

Im rabbiting on now, Any comments suggestions welcomed.

Thanks lucy

betula

• Hectare
Re: Considering chicken's!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:28 »
I have read about pet dogs attacking chickens.

Always best to be on the safe side.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:04 »
The play bark is not a problem for the hens as they would have somewhere to scratch around in.  You could possibly place the henhouse against the side of a shed.

Providing you have a secure run for the hens it would not be a problem.... as long as your dog is not big enough to destroy the run to get to the chickens.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:04:45 »
My daughter-in-law keeps chickens in her tiny garden on an estate on the edge of her town. She locks them up at night, in case of foxes, but they have the run of the garden during the day. They seem to cope well with sharing the garden with two small girls (although they don't kick footballs around!).

When we take the dogs down, the older one is totally oblivious to the chickens; the younger one is terrified by them and refuses to go into the garden!

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 16:31:02 »
I have a big clumsy labrador, I was really worried at first. I took her down to see them a few times on her lead. I never thought I would ever let her off near them but now they are best of friends and I sometimes just leave her down with them when the kids want to play in the garden without the dog eating ther ball. Chickens aren't hard work but do take up a bit of time - we all love having them though. Mine just sleep in a old shed a bottom of garden and I let them out in a sectioned off part during the day- I have 12 and they cost bout £8 a month to run- maybe a lot cheaper if I wasn't also feeding all the dam rats. We feed them lots of leftovers though which keeps which saves a bit. We get bout 8 to 10 eggs a day from them. I'm not sure bout badgers with chickens but they might like the eggs

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:25:59 »
Thanks for all the great replies.

Think we have decided to discuss it again next year once the veg patch is in full flow. See if i how i get on with that then take a better look at the garden where the best place to keep them if we did.

Thanks again lucy

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 16:56:46 »
If you do decide to go for it the best time to buy 18 week old point of lays is around march time anyway.

tuckers_luck

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 17:04:57 »
Hi , with a badger about I would seriously consider building your chicken run and house on the concrete. He wont be able to dig under to get them there. We have some Buffs on our patio in a totally enclosed run wired all round and the top. Its only about four foot high but OK to get in to shut the house and re litter. The roof is transparent corrugated plastic sheets on top of the wire , They are very happy and completely safe from everything including the weather!Olso being near the back door they get extra light ,which means we get more eggs in winter .
Hope this helps Regards Philip & Rachel. :)

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 20:46:33 »
I finally got my chooks at the end of September and I wish I had done it sooner. I didn't go down the normal route though and I have 3, very beautiful, silkies. The eggs are smaller than a standard sized hens, and they cost me £30 each, but the joy and peace they give me has no price. No matter how bad I feel I can go in the garden to let them have a run and I'm instantly much calmer.

Things I have learned in the past few months:-

Read, read and read some more before getting them.
Decide what sized chook you want to go for and don't waver. It will have an impact on your coop size etc.
Buy your birds from a reputable and recommended breeder.
Make sure your coop and run are secure and set up in advance of bringing your birds home.
Get all of your supplies in advance and make sure you have vermin proof storage for your feed, corn, etc.
If you can't be bothered to get up at the crack of dawn and let them out, don't bother having them. They make a hell of a racket at 6am when they want breakfast!
Talk to other chicken owners and try and get some hands on experience. Learn how to hold your birds, check for mites etc.

Lastly, but very very important, don't be scared to ask questions. No question is a stupid one.

Good luck and I hope you get lots of nice cicken books for Christmas:)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:45:23 »
I only got my chickens last summer for the same reasons you state, however I wouldnt put them too near your house as sometimes( usually early morning) they can be pretty noisy one or two sometimes do a sort of loud crowing noise !

Also you should protect your veg patch as this will be completey destroyed ! they will eat everything ! and if you value your lawn the same applies ! of course if you only get one or two hens and have a large garden then it may be ok, but we laid a little lawn for my four in their designated area and it was wrecked in about a month (12 turfs!)

As for the kids and the dog, in my experience they very soon get used to anything and are just concerned with eating !!

But on the plus side, having a continuous supply of lovely fresh eggs is great !
You always love your children more than they love you...

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 09:44:24 »
how do dogs and chicken get on?
i have a greatdane and a jackrussel,
they get on brilliant with 30 chickens.
bit scared of the cockerles though
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 17:46:32 »
We had dogs and chickens for years with no problems. My sister had a pointer when she worked on a farm; it used to grab a chicken on a cold noght and use it as a hot water bottle. She never harmed one. On the other hand, I once saw a dog grab a duck and kill it. It all depends on the dog.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:12 »
Hi all,

Well we have pondered for 7 months now about keeping chickens the garden veg plot and allotment are all doing well. Loving every minute.

So were off out shortly to have a look around at some chicken coops runs etc. I mentioned getting some to my nan she thought it was wonderful. Did mention Bantams can be noisy though? I can always remember going to great grans in the wood as we called it lots of hens ducks geese and a cockerel. Used to love it didnt like it however one year when she asked us to choose which goose we wanted for Christmas Dinner  ;D ;D ;D

Lucy

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:27 »
Hey Lucy - that is great news!

Why don't you consider ex batteries.  They really really are lovely birds and are so tame and appreciative!

They are only just over a year old and although very scruffy to start with my two at home are just beautiful now.  One is gold and the other is more gingery. They have had all the vaccinations and things like that too and really are extremely good value!  I paid £1 each for my last lot of 12.  Getting loads of eggs too!  They are very hardy and really deserve a nice "home".

When you consider your hen house, think that if you put in 4 posts and a pallet on top and then the chicken house on top of the pallet- they have an undercover bit for when it is raining and hopefully less inclination/attraction  for badgers to aim for!

Look forward to seeing what you decide to do!

Old Bird

;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:25 »
I was reading through some other threads and have been considering ex bats. Where would i find out about re homing some in my area (Bristol)

Thanks lucy

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 12:30:19 »
Hi Lucy

You are in luck!  The Battery Hen Welfare Trust deliver to Gordano Services!

The website is bhwt.org.uk.  I collected mine from Chulmleigh in Devon but I think they come via Bristol.

Have a look on their website for the next collection days or give them a shout.  You generally can't talk to anyone during the day but there are loads of numbers for you to ring if you look at the lists!

Hope you get some they really really are well worth it!!

Ann aka Old Bird!

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 14:09:32 »
Thanks  ;D

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 15:40:33 »
There  is no unacceptable noise from my chickens - that's because I only keep hens. Its the cockerels that cause the noise nuisance - waking the neighbours at stoopid o clock or worse crowing cocka doodle do all thru the day!

Seriously though  - hens only is the best in my opinion - keeps the neighbours sweet!

Hens are very green too - with them you can recycle pretty much all all food waste except poultry meat!

My girls eat all the weeds from handweeding too and any cabbage leaves - their favourites are mashed potato and spaghetti

Please consider making a movable run that you can put them into - they will clean up rough ground and they benefit from having fresh ground to have a go at!

Dax

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 10:42:25 »
Well have been looking at ex bat hens on various sites all dates fully booked around the bristol area until september guess i should just be happy that there all going off to a new home  ;D

If anyone hears of some looking for a new home please let me know can collect from bristol and surrounding areas hoping for about 3-4 for the time being.

Thanks lucy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal